TAKING THE LEAP [INEJ GHAFA]

Summary: Inej accidentally confesses her feelings to you, who she has a crush on, but flees before getting a response. Maybe the situation can still be fixed.

Based on prompt: A15. "Oh there you are! I thought you had melted through the floor." "I had plans to do that but then I called them off."

---

Inej Ghafa had always been good in moving gracefully and silently, being The Wraith for Kaz. But the moment she had laid eyes on you the first time, her other side appeared, she turned into a bumbling mess, tripping over her words and blushing at the slightest of glances. Over time, she had became more comfortable with you, but today had been the day she had finally messed up - your frown at her blurting out her feelings by accident made her flee the moment you looked away after a customer called for you.

So here she was, at the roof again, watching a rainstorm rage over Ketterdam. The rain pouring down Ketterdam's gloomy sky fit her mood like a glove, reflecting the turmoil in her heart as she replayed the embarrassment in her head over and over again. You would never look at her the same, she had ruined the friendship you two had had.

"Oh there you are!" Jesper's voice snapped Inej out of her thoughts, and she turned her head slightly towards Jesper as the sharpshooter came to stand beside her. "I thought you had melted through the floor."

Inej sighed, turning her head towards the street again. "I had plans to do that but then I called them off."

She almost heard Jesper's frown from how the boy fell silent, and then shifted. "Is it about our lovely barista perhaps?"

Now it was Inej's turn to frown - she had been sure she had kept a low profile on how much she adored you, and even Jesper wouldn't notice despite claiming he's the expert of love.

Then Inej realised that you probably had told him. She sighed, gripping the railing in front of her a little tighter. The metal makeshift roof made a little creak every now and then as rain weighed on it, and the sound only served to amplify her feelings of shame.

"I accidentally told them I like them," Inej mumbled. "They didn't answer, they just blinked at me twice."

Jesper scoffed. "To me it seemed that you said it and in two seconds you already disappeared, you didn't even give them a chance to reply."

"What difference would it have made? They will turn me down anyway." Inej stated and looked down at her hands, interwining her fingers.

Jesper sighed, leaning over the railing himself now. "Unbelieveable."

"What?"

"You push me and Wylan together, trying to convince us how you had seen how we look at each other but then you don't see how they look at you."

Inej pursed her lips. "Even if they do look at me in a certain way, it doesn't mean they feel the same way I do. I don't want to make things awkward between us by asking."

Jesper's tone was understanding, his voice gentle as he spoke. It almost felt weird in contrast of his usually bouncy and cheery self. He leaned against the railing, looking at Inej with a small smile. "I get it, Inej. It's scary to put yourself out there, but you'll never know unless you try. You might be surprised by their response." His words were meant to be reassuring, and he spoke them with a sense of encouragement in his voice.

Inej bit into her lip, thinking Jesper's words over. It was true she had been wondering it for a while - would you ever have a future together? Then she sighed, pushing herself off the railing. "I'll talk to them later, when their shift ends."

Jesper pushed himself off from the railing as well, clapping his hands together. "That's my girl!" He said with excitement, a wide grin spreading across his face. He leaned in closer to her, a glint of mischief in his eyes as he adds, "But I'll take the credit when you're together." He winked at her, his grin still wide and infectious, and it made Inej smile too.

Maybe today wouldn't be that bad after all.