⇑ PART 2 ⇑

A/N: Here's a part 2 to the Kaz & little sister!reader where reader tried to join the Dregs in order to find her brothers but Kaz panicked and drove her out when he realised who she is. At first, I wrote this in second person as now Kaz knows it's you, but I ended up going with the third person for this.

Word count: 1.4k

A week later, Kaz found himself standing in the middle of an alleyway, looking around every once in a while. Inej had informed him that Y/N was staying at that alleyway, that she had tucked her blanket and pillow behind one of the crates.

Kaz remembered Jordie doing the same thing when they all were starving on the street, and he nudged the crate lightly with his cane to see the blanket peeking through, sighing deeply when he saw the familiar pattern of the blanket. Y/N had kept that very blanket Jordie had gotten her all those years ago. It was far too small for her by now, but she had kept it, maybe from sentimental reasons or maybe because she couldn't afford anything better, but Kaz's thoughts flickered through some memories of all three of them wandering through the streets, looking for food or even one trustful person who could help them.

But nobody wanted to help them only for the joy of helping, Barrel was full of rotten people who wouldn't help without profiting something.

The sun had set only a half an hour ago; it was dark and cold outside. It almost felt like winter was coming early this year. But Kaz stood there, waiting patiently for Y/N to arrive. He didn't know what exactly to say to her once she'd stand in front of him - or if he'd just leave without a word. But he had gone through his sister being alive over and over again for past week, barely even sleeping, and Inej had ultimately partly forced him to go meet her.

Kaz heard soft steps behind him and turned around, seeing Y/N step out of the shadows. She was wearing a thin coat and her hood covered part of her face, but he knew it was her anyway as soon as their eyes met. He swallowed upon seeing her again, and Y/N paused at the sight of him.

"Mr. Brekker? What are you doing here?" she asked, voice hesitant.

For a second, Kaz considered not lying to her and telling the whole truth, but he decided against it. Maybe she deserved to hear the truth after everything, but he still couldn't do it. "I judged you too quickly" he said finally, meeting her gaze. "If you still want to join the gang, I will accept you to join. You will get your own room and food in exchange of your services."

"And my brothers? Will we—"

"They're dead," Kaz cut her off, bracing to bear hearing how much pain would be hidden under her next words. "They died a long time ago."

Y/N's eyes widened and she shook her head. "No, they can't—" her voice broke, and she was quiet for a moment. Then she choked out, "How did you find out?"

Kaz grimaced, shaking his head. "That doesn't matter. What matters is that we need to get you out of these streets. The Barrel isn't safe for a young woman like you, but once you'll be a Dreg, everyone knows you're under my protection. Nobody will dare touch you."

She stared down at the ground for a moment, before moving the crate and picking up her blanket. Kaz took in a deep sigh upon seeing it. It was drenched wet, full of dirt and looked like well used. But despite that all, Y/N cradled it against her chest and nodded at Kaz, not really looking at him.

"I always dreamed of meeting them again," she muttered, staring somewhere past Kaz. "I imagined us moving away from here, starting over from nothing. That one day, they would come back for me, and we'd start our new life." Her voice cracked slightly, tears threatening to spill out. "But now that I know they're both dead... I should have known, I..."

"You don't have to be alone anymore. I'm asking you to join the Dregs," Kaz offered, feeling somewhat guilty about lying. But he didn't think she'd ever forgive him for telling her the truth. Not yet, at least.

Her shoulders trembled briefly, before she nodded and started following him through the narrow alleyways until they reached the Slat.

Kaz already went through every possible way of Y/N not finding out about who he really is. He didn't bear the thought of her finding out what her brother had become - someone some people didn't even think as a human anymore. He had done so many terrible things, and she'd learn to be afraid of him too. Just like every other Dreg.

"Kaz, Illya is missing again, probably drunk in some bar," Jesper's voice interrupted his thoughts as he strode over to him, and Kaz immediately felt Y/N's eyes on him. He swallowed, not meeting her eyes but almost hearing her thoughts as she looked at him and pieced the puzzle together.

"Kaz?" she gasped and Jesper frowned, clearly confused by the tone of Y/N's voice.

Kaz turned his head away from her, starting to make his way upstairs but Y/N was quicker, running to stand in his way.

"Y/N, get out of my way," he grunted but she just frowned at him.

"What happened to you, Kaz?" she asked, her voice soft as she reached out to touch his cheek, but he pulled away harshly before her hand could reach him. She frowned, but dropped her hand.

He looked at her for a while and then sighed, nodding upstairs and Y/N followed him without saying anything else. They made their way into his room and Kaz locked the door behind them. He made his way towards his desk full of blueprints and sat down, motioning Y/N to sit opposite him.

Neither of them spoke for a few minutes, just staring at the papers scattered across his table. Finally, he cleared his throat and forced himself to look at her.

"I reckon you have questions," he began slowly, trying to keep his voice calm and steady. "So, let's get this over with."

Y/N nodded and leaned forward, resting her elbows on top of the desk and clasping her hands together.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked, voice barely above a whisper. "About who you are? That you're my brother? Instead of telling me that you are-"

"I told you that because that's what you needed to hear. And I also didn't lie." Kaz cut her off again. "We both did die. I was born from Kaz Rietveld's will to have revenge."

"I don't understand," she mumbled. "How... are you trying to tell me that you're some spirit of revenge possessing my brother's body? Like an evil ghost or something?"

"No," Kaz replied. "I did what was needed to have revenge for you and Jordie. I changed myself completely in order to have it, I adapted to the rules of the Barrel. It's finally at the reach of my fingertips."

Y/N frowned. "By becoming a crime boss?"

"To defeat Pekka Rollins."

Y/N blinked, taken aback by his words. "P-Pekka Rollins?" She repeated after a moment. "That man who runs Dime Lions? Was Jakob Hertzoon working for him?"

Kaz looked at Y/N for a moment, spinning his quill in his right hand. "Pekka Rollins is Jakob Hertzoon. The moment I found out about it, I joined the Dregs and started to work hard until I achieved this position - running the whole gang. I finally have everything I need to take down the man who destroyed us."

Y/N was quiet for a moment, fiddling with her fingers before muttering, "The man who killed Jordie. Who stole our money. Without him, we'd still be together, all three of us."

Kaz nodded. "Exactly."

Y/N thought for a moment longer, before she raised her eyes to look at Kaz and nodded once. "I'll join the gang. For Jordie."

The corners of Kaz's lips quirked upwards ever so slightly, feeling relieved that he had his sister safe, at least. That she was still alive - and took the new him in surprisingly easy. Knowing he had done it all for her and Jordie apparently made it all make sense.

And Kaz had to admit, having her back in his life felt like a piece of his heart had been put back into its place. Just a little bit of light in his dark nature and life. He had gotten his sister back, and that was all that mattered.