Chapter 2: Sparky

A/N: This is the first fic I have actually named my chapters so I apologise in advance if they're weird or odd aha, anyways onto chapter 2!

"Did you talk to him?" Mason asked, watching as Nolan sighed and shrugged. "Oh come on, was he actually silent the whole class? Surely Ms Finch wouldn't have allowed that," Mason pointed out.

"She was giving him space, she knows how intense the first class can be... but beside that-he didn't speak, not once." Nolan then turned to Liam, "Did Brett start anything in class?" he wondered, knowing Brett would often torment Liam.

"He tried to...let's just say he didn't get far." Liam laughed, as he remembered the earlier events of his day.

"Brett, will you demonstrate how to diminish a flame?" their teacher asked, watching as Brett nodded and rose to the challenge. Flashing Liam a cocky grin as he brushed past him, his eyes glowing red as he stared into the flame.

It burnt out successfully, no surprise to anyone. His hands were radiating with heat as despite it being an easy ability- it still took it's toll on the young student. As he walked back to his table he made sure to go past Liam, kicking his leg as he did.

Before Liam had the chance to react Ella stood up, thrusting her hand forward and smirking as his chair caught alite. "Leave him alone Brett," she said with a threatening gaze, the older boy contemplated his options and decided not to fight with her- it wouldn't do his reputation any good.

"Thanks Ella," Liam said with a soft smile. Ella had always been like a sister to him, always by his side and she always had his back. Besides Mason, she was the closest thing to family that he had.

"Anytime," she said before flashing Brett a glare, "literally, anytime." Brett rolled his eyes before sitting quietly and allowing the class to resume back to normal. Well, as normal as a class full of magical students can be.

"She would mess shit up," Mason laughed, it wasn't the first time Ella had done something slightly unhinged and they knew it wouldn't be the last time either. Her control over her powers was admirable, but as all fire elements- she possessed a quick anger that was not to be messed with.

"Oh, she definitely would," Liam said with a laugh. Their phones all made a noise in sync, a message from the headmaster on display for them all to read. "In honour of congratulating Derek Hale in his completion of his elemental gift, we welcome you all in joining together for a celebration tonight at 7pm in the cafeteria."

"In other words, if we don't go, then we look like the assholes," Mason said giving Nolan a knowing look. He knew that Nolan would rather be anywhere else, especially since Gabe would be there too. He didn't particularly feel like talking to him yet.

"Uh," Liam sighed, stepping down from his spot by the windowsill. "I'm not going if they split us up... you guys told me when Lydia graduated, they made you all stay in your separate houses and I'm not spending the night with Brett and Malia..."

"To be fair, that was before we started hanging out at lunch together, I think everyone knows we prefer each other's company now." Mason explained with a shrug, thankfully the headmaster had been lenient towards their friendship being mixed as long as it didn't go any further.

"Plus, at least Ella's in your house," Nolan said which made Liam feel a little better, but he would still rather be with everyone else including Ella. "I don't want to be with Gabe anymore..." Nolan said watching as the pair raised their head, "I just- we don't work together."

"If you want to leave him, you can," Liam said running his hand along Nolan's back in a comforting way. "Plus, we got your back. If he tries anything I'll set his ass on fire," Liam said with a laugh although if he lost control that's probably what would happen.