FORTY FOUR

(Chapter 44 - There's No Place Like Home)

🦢🗡

Just outside the Dark Castle, the group were gathered together near a fire. Elias stared into the flame, completely dazed. No thought running through his mind. "After my brother passed," Killian began, approaching the twin from behind. "All I could do was relive that final terrible moment. Don't do that to yourself, mate. All we can do in times like these is try to live in the here and now."

"Here and now," Elias repeated, emotionlessly. The pirate's words repeated in his mind, until he eventual snapped out of his slump, coming to a realization. "I'm still here," He stated, turning to the pirate. "How's that possible? We saw her die, which means I would never have been born."

"You should have faded from existence."

"Exactly."

"Well, then perhaps-," Killian began.

"She's still alive," Elias interrupted, a hopeful tone in his voice. "If Snow is out there, we have to find her."

Distracted by a ladybug flying around, Killian swats at it. "Cursed vermin," He remarked. "We should head back to the Queen's castle. Take a look around." Again he attempted to shoo the ladybug away. "Perhaps it's a trick by Regina."

"First off, that woman was nothing like the Regina I know. They're two different people," Elias corrected him. "But, no." He shook his head. "Whatever happened, the Queen thinks Snow is dead."

The ladybug soon landed on the twin's arm, "Stay still, mate," Killian said and went to swat at it, but was stopped by Prince Charming.

"Wait!" They looked at him, confused. "Don't harm that thing. When we were coming to rescue you, Emma told me what her dust would do to the Queen. She said it would turn her into a form that could easily be squashed," He told them, gently taking the ladybug from off the twin's shoulder. "A bug."

Elias narrowed his eyes, doubtfully, "You think Emma turned Snow into that?"

"Well, if she timed it right, they could have escaped that fireball," The Prince told them. "Faked their death and flown away."

"But there's only one of them," Elias stated. "Which would mean only one of them survived."

Taking a closer look at the ladybug, "Yeah, that's Snow," Prince Charming nodded. "Just need to find a way to bring her back."

Hearing a faint buzzing sound, Elias leaned closer, "She's saying something."

"Wonderful," Killian quipped. "Anyone fluent in bug?"

"She's calling for me," A voice called out and they turned to see the Blue Fairy emerging from the forest.

Elias smiled slightly, "Blue."

"That's right," She looked at him, curiously. "And you are?"

"Alec."

"No, that's not it," Blue shook her head. "But your secrets can be yours. I sense it's better that way."

"Can you bring Snow back?" Red asked.

"Dark Magic did this to her, Light magic can undo it."

Using her wand, the Blue Fairy transformed the bug back into Snow White and Prince Charming let out a small laugh.

Elias quickly threw his arms around her, smiling in relief, "You're alive!"

"Oh!" A look of confusion spread across Snow's face. "It appears so. Thank you."