THIRTY ONE

(CHAPTER 31 - IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN)

🦢🗡

Flashback - Land of Oz

A woodcutter and his wife walked along a yellow-brick road, when a sudden green cyclone formed in the sky, dropping a basket off, before disappearing. The sound of a baby's wail became louder and the woman stopped, "Did you hear that?"

"Nothing, stick to the road," The Woodcutter said.

As the couple walked closer, his wife noticed the basket, "Where did it come from?" She asked.

"The cyclone must have dropped it," the Woodcutter watched as his wife approached the basket, "Dear, what are you doing?" He asked.

She picked up the basket and looked at him, "What do you expect me to do? Leave the poor thing to the wolves?" she looked back down at the baby girl, "She's beautiful."

Overhead, a branch is was close to breaking and the Woodcutter noticed the baby raise a finger, magically changing the branch's direction; causing no harm as it fell to the ground some yards away.

The Woodcutter became nervous at the sight of magic, however, his wife remained oblivious, "She did that, she knocked that tree away," He said.

"Calm your nerves, dear, it was just the wind. She's only a babe and she needs our help," the woman turned to her husband, "Can we keep her?" She asked.

"That's not a good idea. Didn't you see what she did? She's not like us," The Woodcutter said.

"You're right, she's not. She's alone and we're going to take care of her," the woman said and walked ahead of him, "Now, stick to the road or we'll never make it to the Emerald City before dawn."

The Woodcutter followed after, "What should we call her?" He asked.

"What about Zelena?" she suggested and looked down at the sleeping baby girl with a smile, "She's going to be the happiest baby in all of Oz."

End of Flashback

The residents of Storybrooke gathered in the cemetery, where Alana was being laid to rest. Captain Hook took up the shovel, scooped up some dirt and dropped it into the hole, letting it fall onto her coffin. He turned, holding out the shovel and Emma walked up, taking it from him and followed his example. Captain Hook walked over to the side, before glancing at Athena and Maverick.

----------<3----------

Unable to attend Alana's funeral, Mr Gold fell to his knees in the cage as he grieved over the loss of his daughter, "Oh, Ser..."

----------<3----------

Back in the cemetery, everyone followed Captain Hook's example, until it was finally just Elias and Henry left. Nodding to his son, Elias encouraged Henry to scoop soil onto his mother's coffin.

Being the last one to grab the shovel, Elias scooped up some soil and held it over Alana's grave, pausing for a moment. He glanced behind him at Regina, who sent him a gentle smile and a nod as encouragement. Turning back to the grave, Elias closed his eyes and turned the shovel over, letting the dirt fall into the hole, landing on top of Alana's coffin.