FORTY

(CHAPTER 40 - KANSAS)

🦢🗡

Still in his bloodied attire, Maverick sat on a bench outside of the hospital room, staring into space, "Okay," He heard and looked up, seeing Regina approaching him, carrying some sort of material, "I found a jacket in my car. It'll keep you covered."

"Thank you," Maverick said, taking it from her.

"You sure you're okay?" Regina asked, placing a hand under his chin and he just nodded as a reply. Letting out a small sigh, she heard a door open and looked over, seeing the Charming siblings rushing out of the hospital room, "Where are you two going?"

"To get my son back," David said.

Athena noticed her son sat off to the side, taking in his bloodied appearance, "What happened to you?" She asked, walking to him.

"Uh..." Maverick began, but stopped.

"What happened?" Athena asked again, but he remained silent, "Regina?"

"I found him in the hallway with an arrow in his back," Regina answered, making both David and Athena's look at the young boy with widened eyes, "He's okay, just shaken up a bit."

Athena's gaze switched from shock and concern, to rage, "Let's go, David," She said and took off down the hallway with him.

"Mom?!" Maverick said, standing up.

"You're gonna get yourselves killed!" Regina called out as she headed after the siblings, grabbing Athena's arm, "Thena, think about this!"

"What's there to think about?" Athena questioned as David looked at them, "She tried to kill my son, and took my nephew."

"Don't let her get hurt," Maverick said to Regina.

The twins, Nadia and Killian ran down the hallway, seeing the frantic behavior, "What's going on here?" Emma asked.

"What happened? Did you find Zelena?" David asked.

"We did, but we couldn't stop her," Elias answered.

"She took your brother," David told them.

Athena looked the pirate, "And tried to kill our son."

"What?!" Killian asked with a mixture of a shocked and angry manner.

"Because we failed?" The twins asked.

Elias glanced around the hospital, "Where's Henry?"

Seeing the worry in the eldest twin's eyes, Regina placed a gently hand on his arm, turning his attention to her, "He's with Archie, he's okay."

"We're all still here," Nadia mentioned, "So, you haven't failed just yet."

"Nadia's right," David told them, "Come on."

Emma stopped her father from moving, "No, wait," She said, "Zelena took our magic."

"How the hell did that happen?" Regina asked.

"Doesn't matter how, it just happened," Nadia answered, not wanting to mention what happened, "So we need to find another way to stop her."

"There is no other way," Regina said.

"That's not true," Maverick said, making everyone look at him, "You can do it."

"Sweetheart, I don't think I can survive round three with my sister," Regina told him.

"Glinda was pretty specific, only the purveyor of the strongest light magic can defeat her," David mentioned.

"No, Maverick's onto something," Athena said, "Zelena only beat you because you were using dark magic against her."