TWELVE

(CHAPTER 12 - ARIEL)

🦢🗡

After saving Mr Gold from Pan's shadow, they were now stood opposite each other in the clearing, "What is this? Amateur hour?"

"Did you really believe that was Belle?" Regina asked him.

"Why are you here?" Mr Gold asked.

"Well, for starters, it appears I'm saving your ass. You were about to be Pan's lunch," Regina said.

Mr Gold waved off her comment, "Oh, what do you care?" He questioned.

"I care because I've been camping with the Charmings for a week and getting nowhere. Out of everyone, I'm somehow getting along with Helena, and all of a sudden we find Athena," Regina said.

"She's alive?" Mr Gold asked.

"Yes, but none of this matters because nothing is happening. If we're gonna get Henry, I need you. I need Rumplestiltskin," Regina told him.

"Well, the problem, dearie, is that Rumplestiltskin can only stop Pan by dying," Mr Gold said.

"You're not gonna die at anyone's hands but my own. We're the two most powerful practitioners of magic who have ever lived," Regina said.

"Two of three," Mr Gold corrected, "If I remember correctly, Miss Humbert beat both you and your mother," He said.

Regina scoffed, "Barely," she commented to herself, "But she's not here, right now. However, the Evil Queen and the Dark One joining forces? I'd say we can find another way to handle one smug teenager," Regina said.

"You've never faced him, I have. And I know what killing him requires, and that is my life," Mr Gold said.

"Well, as much as I want to, maybe we don't have to kill him. If that's the case, then maybe we can find another way...something to contain him, some other fate," Regina said.

"A fate worse than death," Mr Gold said.

"Now we're talking," Regina smirked slightly, "There's my malevolent imp," her smile fell and she returned to her serious self, "Is there a spell you know? Something we can enact?" Regina asked.

"No, but back in my shop, I might have just the thing," Mr Gold said.

"Well, why didn't you bring it with you in the first place?" Regina asked him.

"Because I came here to kill him and die in the process!" Mr Gold snapped.

Regina let out a laugh, "Well, I could've told you that wasn't gonna happen," she inhaled deeply, "You forget, dear. I've known you a long time. I know all about your survival instincts," Regina said.

"Yeah, well, they just kicked in," Mr Gold said.

"Good. So now we just need a change of plans. We need to get back to your shop, pick up this magical item, and then all of our problems are solved," Regina said.