FORTY THREE

(CHAPTER 43 - There's No Place Like Home)

🦢🗡

Flashback: Land Without Magic - 2001

A young Elias Swan stood outside a closed, deserted amusement park, seemingly waiting for someone to arrive. Looking around, he mentally sighed to himself, "This is how horror movies start."

After a few moments of waiting, Alana approached him from behind, carrying a to-go coffee in each hand. Able to hear her footsteps, Elias turned to the brunette, "You said you owed me a drink. I thought we'd met in a place like a bar, a restaurant. Or some place, you know," He shrugged slightly, "With chairs."

"Patience," Alana told him.

Elias shook his head, "Not my forte."

"I've noticed," Alana smiled, "Anyway, I've got something better in mind. Here," She said, handing over the coffees, "Hold this."

Elias took the coffees and watched as Alana crouched down. Using a wire, she attempts to unlock the gate, "What the hell are you doing?" He asked.

"Tumblers," Alana glanced up at him for a moment, "It's all about the tumblers." Succeeding with the lock, she opened the door and stood up, turning to the twin and taking her coffee, "Come on," he hesitated to follow her inside, "It's worth it, I promise." They entered the park and Alana stepped onto the carousel, switching on the lights, "What did I tell you?"

"Yeah, alright," Elias smiled, "It's pretty cool."

"Come on," Alana waved him over as she sat on a horse, "Hop on."

Elias sat backwards on the horse in front of her, enabling himself to be able to see her, "So, what's your story, Alana?"

"That's an interesting choice of words," Alana tilted her head to the side, "My story is that I left a screwed up situation and that kind of screwed me up."

"Crappy home life?" Elias nodded slightly, "I get that."

"Nah, it wasn't always. It...that's the problem," Alana smiled softly, reminiscing the memories of her past, "It was really great once."

"So, why don't you go back to try and fix it?" Elias asked.

"I can't really go back," Alana answered, "It's my father."

The twin nodded slowly, "Bad guy?"

"Not at first, but he changed. That's when things got really crazy. But before that?" Alana felt a warmth feeling in the back of her throat and fought the tears she felt forming in her eyes, "It was home. It was nice. That's how you know you've really got a home," Elias looked at her, truly taking in the words she was saying, "When you leave it, there's that feeling that you can't shake. You just miss it."

End of Flashback

In the dungeons of the Dark Palace, a Black Knight roughly shoved Elias into a cell and locked the door behind him, before leaving. An imprisoned woman in the cell beside his, spoke up, drawing his attention to her, "Are you alright?"