24| ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ ᴀᴜɢᴜꜱᴛ

I tugged Carmen's arm and led her upstairs to my room

I tugged Carmen's arm and led her upstairs to my room. Her little body was shivering.

Why was she so upset?

"What do you need to tell me? Is everything okay?" I asked as I felt the panic in me begin to rise.

"Yeah— well no." She confessed.

I squeezed her shoulders, but it did not seem to have any effect on her. She was still visibly shaking.

"Carmen, you are scaring me, what is it?" I stared deeply into her eyes.

"Do you like me?" She asked. Her question took me by surprise. My mouth nearly dropped. She could not be serious.

"What?" I took a step backward. "Carmen, seriously? Did you really just ask me that?" I gave her a puzzled look.

She peered up at me with her big brown eyes. There was so much uncertainty in them. I don't know how I could be any clearer to her.

"Yes, seriously August. I don't know when it happened but I like you. I really like you. I just feel as if I'm being dragged around. I've been in a situation like this before, and it ended up screwing me over. Why haven't you asked me to be your girlfriend?" Her bottom lip was trembling.

I was planning on asking her at my birthday party this weekend. I knew it was something that had not been brought up between us but I did not think it would be such a huge issue for Carmen.

"What brought this on Carmen?" I placed my hand on her shoulders. She seemed like she was moments away from bursting into tears.

"I told you, I was in this predicament before." She said softly. "I thought I was the girlfriend, and the whole time I was just being used." She said sadly. "I can't go through that again."

I tilted my head to the side and glared at her. "You being my girlfriend would be my dream come true," I said to her truthfully.

"Really?" She uttered.

I leaned in and pressed my lips onto her forehead. She was no longer shivering.

I pressed my lips together before letting out a deep exhale. "I like you Carmen, you are all I think about, ever," I confessed.

Carmen leaned in and pressed her lips onto mine. I kissed her back before we embraced each other for a couple of silent minutes.

Carmen is officially my girlfriend. As much as I could not be happier, I wish it was under better circumstances. The huge arrangement Misty and I were working on is all down the drain. Misty is probably going to kill me.

"You must think I'm insane." Carmen pouted her lips, I found it adorable.

I reached down and touched her face. "No," I kept my arms wrapped around her body and took in her scent.