8| ᴡʀᴏɴɢ ɪᴍᴘʀᴇꜱꜱɪᴏɴ

I arrived home late in the afternoon

I arrived home late in the afternoon. My mom was in the kitchen preparing dinner, and my dad was nowhere to be found. The feeling that was coursing through my body was unexplainable. I felt like I was walking on air.

Not much was said between me and Carmen. It was nice being in her presence. Carmen was calm and cordial. There was no wrath. There was no arguing. We watched a movie, and we shared some small talk. I was there as a moral support after her panic attack. I'm not sure what triggered it. It was difficult for me to see her curl into a ball, crying hysterically in fear. She appeared so frightened. So damaged. It's not at all like the strong-willed individual I watched from afar all of these years.

I don't know what came over me. All I remember is dropping over to her, and holding onto her as if my life depended on it.

I didn't see Zachary get shot, I came in the aftermath. What she witnessed is probably going to take a toll on her for a while.

The second I shut the front door behind me I got a text message alert on my phone. My heart felt like it did a leap in my chest. My mind got a little too carried away with the potential outcome of the day. My delusional mind was envisioning it to be Carmen. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

I want you in my office within 1 hour!
-Coach Williams

"Fuck!" I cursed under my breath when I saw a message from Coach Williams. There are several different scenarios of how the rest of the day will play out. I will not put it past Coach Williams to put me in a chokehold the very minute I entered his office.

I know I promised him that I would give him my best this year but I was not going to walk away from an opportunity to be closer to Carmen. I'm sure he is fuming at the fact I skipped out of football practice today, but it was worth it. Most likely, I'm going to be benched. Which is fine. The first game is against a school that does not have a very good football team.

"Hey mom." I kissed her cheek, and she smiled. "Spaghetti and meatballs." I smiled at the dish she was preparing.

I haven't had this meal from her in years. Usually, the housekeeper spruces something up in the kitchen. My mom hardly ever cooks anymore.

"Mhmm." She appeared to be in a vibrant mood. "I used to cook this dish for your father all the time. It was his favorite."

I nodded my head. Knowing my father, he's probably going to devour the meal without a single thank you. His inability to be a kind human being is frustrating. I will die on the hill that my mother is too good of a woman for a pompous asshole like my father. I wish one day she would recognize that. I pray it happens. When it does happen, I will be on her side 100%.

As soon as I reached into the fridge, I got out a water bottle. My heart was pounding at the speed of light. I had to mentally prepare myself for the bullshit I was about to endure with Coach Williams. He is a scary, formidable man, and truth be told, sometimes— well, most of the time, I'm terrified of him.