3| ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ

My mom placed a cup of coffee on the table

My mom placed a cup of coffee on the table. I reached for the orange-colored coffee mug. The quick breakfast she prepared for me, was promptly placed on the table in front of me. As appetizing as the scrambled eggs and french toast appeared, I could not bring myself to eat a single bite.

My eyelids felt like a block of concrete was holding them down. My stomach kept churning. What happened last night was a disaster and by far the most terrifying ordeal I have ever experienced.

"Thanks Mom." I managed to give her a faint smile before I turned my attention to my coffee.

She made it just the way I like it. Sugar, cream with a dash of cinnamon.

"No problem baby," Mom said before placing a gentle kiss on the top of my head.

I took another small sip of my coffee and placed it on the table. The blasting ring sound of a video game captured my attention. It was aggravating my mom as well.

"Nadine put the tablet down!" Mom roared at my youngest sister. She is a seven-year-old terrorizing spoiled brat.

We all have a hand in how Nadine became the way she is. It's impossible for her to not get what she wants because, after thirty minutes or so of constant temper tantrums, we'll eventually give in to her demands.

Nadine placed her tablet on the table and proceeded to eat her breakfast. I watched her and smiled. She was oblivious to everything going on. She is unaware of what happened to me last night. I think it's for the best. I don't want to taint her innocence. She's too young.

I'm still in shock. Nothing like this ever happens in this town. For the most part, West Valley has perpetually been a low-crime area. The potential dangers of being robbed are so rare. People hardly even lock their doors at night.

Last night has altered everything for me. I haven't had a moment of sleep. The traumatic image of Zachary's body lying on the ground, bleeding out,  kept resurfacing in my mind. I was witness to Zachary being murdered. Every time I shut my eyes, I see the bullet piercing his chest and blood gushing everywhere.

"How are you doing mama?" My dad questioned as he entered the kitchen.

He was dressed in an old red shirt and navy blue pajama pants.

I shrugged my shoulders. I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Both of my parents took off work to stay with me. If there is one thing about my parents, they will always put their children first.

"I'm okay," I said without much thought to my answer.

Was I okay? Probably not, but the tense expression on my dad's face was heartbreaking. I couldn't break it to him that I was on the cusp of panicking.

After Nadine finished her breakfast, our dad brought her over to the neighbor's house to play with their six-year-old daughter, Sammie.

"I looked over that man's rap sheet. He should not have been roaming the street." My mom took a seat on the sofa beside me.