1 | ᴠᴀʟᴜᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ᴅᴏʟʟᴀʀ

"You got to be kidding me!" The outburst from Veronica grabbed my attention

Our eyes met. She let out a frustrated sigh. "Look who is here," she motioned her head at the door. Her tone was laced with irritation.

It was bizarre to see the happiest, most sweetest person I know get upset. I immediately knew why there was a sudden mood change. I felt a barrage of anxiety begins to brew in me. Four guys dressed in plain shirts and jeans entered the restaurant. These particular four individuals have made the life of me and the staff a living hell all summer.

I glanced at my watch. It had just turned 9:15 pm. I was not in the mood for the pretentious assholes from my school and their immature antics tonight.

"Not it!" Veronica declared hastily.

I turn to look at her. Her jet-black hair was in a ponytail, and most, if not all her makeup was sweated off. It was a straining day of attending to indecisive customers contemplating how they wanted their steaks prepared and little brats throwing temper tantrums over the chicken nuggets not being in the shape of dinosaurs. I can confidently say that neither of us was in the mood.

"Veronica, no, please. I have a headache!" I whined. I didn't have a headache. I was perfectly fine. I was in desperation mode. I was willing to do anything to not be the server for those cretins.

"No— No fucking way!" Veronica declared firmly.

I gazed at her at a loss for words.

Veronica was raised in a very religious household. For the most part, she carries most of what she's learned from her parents to her day-to-day life. She rarely uses curse words. I knew she was serious. I don't blame her. She had the "pleasure" of waiting for them the other night. They deliberately ordered everything on the menu. She ran around the restaurant until she nearly collapsed from exhaustion. It was so lousy on them. I wanted to kick them out.

I rolled my eyes. Ultimately I had no choice but to agree. Veronica and I are the only servers on the floor tonight. I took a deep breath and mentally prepared myself for what they had stored for me. I seized my pen and notepad and plastered on a phony smile.

I can't stand these spoiled ass rich white boys.

"Hi, Carmen." Kaleb smiled at me as he took his usual seat at the table located in the back.

Kaleb is the nicest of the bunch. I can tolerate him. It's the other three I have a problem with.

Asshole #1, Asshole 2, and Asshole #3.

"Hi boys, would you like to hear about the soup of the day?" I played nice. I have to play nice. I can't afford to get another write-up.

The kitchen closes in fifteen minutes. Typically, I would kick them out, but the owner, Zachary, is in the office at this very moment. He is a real scrounger. His head would spin off his body if he found out I were to do something as drastic as turning away a paying customer.