5| ɴᴏᴛ ᴀɴ ᴏᴘᴛɪᴏɴ

"You hired a chef Mom—really?" I glared at my mom who was overseeing the food that was being prepared

Her hair was pressed out and she wore a burnt orange colored dress that did wonders with her skin color.

The chef, whose name is Shirley, stood beside my mom chopping up fruit. I could not believe how over the top she was taking this. In the seventeen years I've been on this earth, I cannot comprehend what drives my mom to be the person that she is. I know my mom had to dish out a lot of money to get Shirley at last notice and she made her prepare a feast. I glanced over at the table at the steak, lobster tails, and roasted vegetables Shirley had prepared. Everything was plated beautifully on the expensive china my parents bring out on only special occasions. She just had to outdo herself tonight.

"Wow, Shirley this looks amazing," I expressed to her truthfully.

Shirley is a chef my mom often hires whenever we are having events or gatherings at the house. She also happens to be one of my mom's closest friends.

They met each other a few years ago when Shirley had just graduated culinary school. She launched her business and my mom was one of her first clients.

"Thank you honey." Shirley smiled at me.

Her eyes were red. She came straight to our house right after she was done with her previous client. She's been on her feet for the past twenty four hours. The only thing that was preventing her from falling from exhaustion was her will power.

Her hard work ethic is really admirable. It's impressive to see how far Shirley has gotten in her career. She is the most sought-after chef in town. Not only is her food amazing. Her staff consists of only women of color. Shirley is the very definition of a successful black woman. My mom consciously surrounds herself with prominent black women.

I peeked at my phone's screen to see the time. It read 6:30. I cursed under my breath. August and his family should be here any moment. When I had extended the invite to August, I never thought he was going to say yes. If anything I thought he would have said something disrespectful, I would have blocked him and gone about my day. Now here I am running around the house like a lunatic for the guy I hate the most to be in the comfort of my house.

My heart sank when the doorbell rang. They are here. Great!

I looked over at Julie. Her bouncy curls fell down her back and she wore a light layer of makeup. She is so beautiful. I could be biased but I think my sisters are gorgeous. Julie and I wore similar black dresses. Her dress was a halter top while mine had a spaghetti strap.

I combed my hair into a top knot bun and put on the diamond earrings my parents gifted me for my sixteenth birthday last year.

"Hello, Grace." August's mom greeted my mom.

I know they know each other in passing but I don't think I would say that they are friends.

August's mom gives off a depressed housewife who is moments away from her breaking point. Her dirty blonde hair was pinned up and she wore a simple beige colored dress with black pumps. It's actually very disheartening to see her in this state. She used to be more put together. Over the years it's obvious she has stopped trying. I can't say for certain why but my best guess is her husband. He stood beside her with a harsh face. August resembles his father. They had the same jet-black hair and light gray eyes. Only August's father's eyes appear more cold and lifeless. It was obvious he didn't want to be there. I don't say this carelessly when I say he is a mean man. In elementary school, I remember he would constantly shout and ridicule August in front of everyone.