13| ᴛʏᴘᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴅɪꜱᴛʀᴇꜱꜱ

"Are you sure you are okay?" I asked Julie

I could see the fury in her pained eyes from a mile away. The moment our mom announced she and I were going to New York, I could tell Julie was resentful that I was being treated like the "golden child". Julie loves New York. If I had the option, I would let her tag along with us. Our mom, however, is holding a strong front. She is not lighting up on Julie at all.

"Why do you keep asking me if I'm okay? I said I'm fine!" Julie snapped. She was frustrated.

I let out a deep breath. I felt an immense amount of tension between us. I don't think I did anything wrong. I'm just an innocent by-product of the ongoing feud between Mom and Julie. I wish Julie could see that I'm on her side. I may not show it, but I will always be in Julie's corner, rooting for her to succeed.

"I just feel bad." I gave her an honest answer.

I felt uncomfortable even initiating this conversation with her. I wouldn't feel right leaving without at least asking her how she felt about it. This situation is truthfully unfortunate, and I hate that I am in the middle.

"Feel bad about what? Go to New York. Have fun. I don't care!" Julie shouted.

She's not fine.

"Bye Julie." I nodded my head and grabbed my suitcase.

Mom and Dad were outside waiting for me. I just had a few things to grab.

"I'll call you when I get there." I placed my hand on Julie's shoulder.

Nadine was standing by my doorway crying. For some reason, she had this notion in her mind that I was leaving and I was not coming back. She didn't want me to leave. She acts so tough, but in reality, she is a complete wuss on the inside.

I peppered her face with kisses. I was only going to be gone for a couple of days.

"Promise you will come back." She sniffled.

"I will." I giggled.

I gave her one final kiss on the cheek and walked out of my room.

Dad was in the driver's seat, and mom sat beside him in the passenger seat. Her eyes concentrated on her phone. She was in a peculiar mood. She tends to act this way whenever she is working on a huge case.

I got in the car, and Dad instantly pulled out of the driveway and drove the route to the airport.

"Bye Daddy." I pressed a kiss on my dad's cheek.

Mom got out of the car, grabbed her carry-on from the back seat, and walked inside the airport without saying a single word to Dad.

Confused, I stared at my father. He let out a sigh. I don't know what he did, but we all know when my mom is in one of her moods, it's best to give her space.