10| ɢᴀꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀᴇ

My eyes concentrated on the high ceilings of my bedroom

My eyes concentrated on the high ceilings of my bedroom. I was plunged into deep thought. I've been lying in the same position for fifteen minutes reflecting, on my night. My thoughts were an erratic mess and scrambled everywhere. I have never felt this anxious. I had a great night with Carmen, but I had this unnerving feeling like I could have done more—say more. I had several opportunities tonight to bring her to the side and confess her. Again, I froze.

I was going to tell Carmen how I felt, but I let my fear take over me. I backed out at the last second. Am I terrified of rejection? Yes and no. I'm fully aware Carmen probably harbors some resentment about how I treated her over the years. There is no doubt in my mind she would be horrified and run for the hills at my revelation. It feels like something is gnawing at me at this point. I just want her to know. At this point, I NEED her to know.

My phone buzzed on my bed beside me. I saw it was an upcoming FaceTime call from Racheal. She has already called me ten times. Not many people saw it because Rachael is a professional when it comes to hiding her emotions. You will never know just how angry she is because she does not want them displayed. I had a very brief glimpse. It was apparent she was not too happy about seeing Carmen and me ride together to Easton's Creek. I sort of gathered she would respond this way. The way I broke things off with her gave her an inkling of hope that we would be able to rekindle things again sometime in the future.

I blocked her number and continued scrolling through my phone. I raised my eyebrow when I saw a notification come through from Carmen.

Thanks again for the ride.
-Carmen

I rolled over to my side and clicked on her contact. I took a picture of her tonight when she was not looking. She was attentively listening to Billy ramble on about Bigfoot. Billy is a nutcase.

I smiled at the images of the way she engaged with my friends tonight.

Carmen is effortlessly beautiful. What always gets to me the most is her eyes. They have a dark hue that runs chills down my spine every time I stare into them.

Right when I was about to reply to Carmen's text message, four guys I know very well entered my room with eager smiles on their faces.

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" I groaned as Billy, Caleb, and Harvey entered my room.

"Your mom let us in," Billy smirked.

I instantly felt like tearing my hair out. I already knew why they were here. Why else would they be here besides to give me shit.

"Mom!" I shouted.

"Goodnight honey, I love you." She shouted from downstairs.

"So?" Harvey spoke up charismatically while darting his eyes in my direction.

I plugged my phone into its charger and glared at my three nosey best friends that is obviously here to pry information out of me.

"What happened between you and Carmen?" Billy asked.