9| ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʜᴀᴛᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜ

"Shadow!" I shouted at my seven-year-old family pit bull

"Shadow!" I shouted at my seven-year-old family pit bull. He is what I consider a terrorizing piece of shit.

He just came from the groomers. His jet-black fur was glistening against the light of the living room. He's such a beautiful dog, but he is literally a troublemaking psychopath. At his big age, he should be napping in his dog house, but no. He somehow has the energy to play all day long. I'm convinced he sneaks out every night to secretly consume some type of dog crack. As he's gotten older, his energy has never digressed. He remains to be the most rambunctious dog on this planet.

At this very moment, he had one of my sneakers in his mouth. They are a pair of beige-colored Jordan dunks Jude purchased for me for my birthday last year. I'm not much of a sneaker person, but I can acknowledge those specific sneakers go with a lot of my outfits. The sentimental value aspect is also at play. It's my last gift from Jude before we broke up.

"Shadow! Put it down now!" I shrieked at him.

In an act of defiance, he ran in the opposite direction towards the back door which would take him to the backyard. There is no telling what type of damage he would do if he got there.

"Shit!" I rushed after him. "Daddy!" I cried out to my dad because he tends to be the only person Shadow ever listens to. How our family dog became a product of the patriarchy in a house full of women is astounding.

"SHADOW!" Dad screamed at that stubborn dog.

Thankfully my dad was standing beside the door, and he was able to easily grab my shoe from Shadow's mouth. We both examined the sneakers. The damage was done. There were bite marks indented in the leather, and it was drenched in that horrid dog's slobber. I was so upset!

"Ugly!" I snapped at Shadow.

He didn't pay me any mind. He ran off to play with his toys in the corner.

"Hey, now don't call your brother ugly!" Dad said, taking up for that spoiled brat of a dog.

"I'm telling you we should just drop him off at a pound," I grumbled at my father.

"Carmen!" Dad gasped as he eyed me down. He was horrified that I would state such a travesty.

I didn't mean it. Sure, Shadow is a handful, but he's also a pivotal part of my family. The past seven years have been chaotic, but without a doubt, we share more happy memories than bad ones.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked me with a puzzled expression.

I don't really blame him. When I'm home my standard get-up consists of sweats and an old T-shirt. I had on a beige tank and light denim jeans. I brushed my hair into a low bun, and I put on my small gold hoop earrings.

I had just completed my makeup when August texted me, saying he was on the way.

"I'm going out with August," I said as I sadly threw my sneakers in the trash.