18| ᴡɪᴛʜ ɴᴏ ʜᴇꜱɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

"I'm not wearing that," I said to Misty

"I'm not wearing that," I said to Misty. Her face fell, and she pursed her lips into a pout.

"Please." She pleaded.

"No," I said with no hesitation.

"Please, please, please!"

"No, no, no!" I scoffed.

Why am I here?

"Fine, what about this one?" Misty brought out a silk royal blue tuxedo. All the liquor she's been consuming has had to have gone to her brain because there is no way in fucking hell I would be caught dead in that.

"Oh, come on. It's your eighteenth birthday. There is no way you have to wear something fun and stylish." Misty attempted to hand me the tuxedo.

I rolled my eyes. I have no idea how Misty convinced me to come to the mall with her. She's been planning my birthday party for the past month. To no surprise, she is making it just as extravagant as her birthday party.

"No," I said firmly.

"Ugh, don't tell me you are going to wear a boring black and white tuxedo."

"How about I don't wear a tuxedo at all," I said casually.

Misty immediately gasped. I might as well have killed a kitten in front of her. Her reaction was over the top.

"August Ansley Baylor, you take that back right now." She huffed.

I don't care to do much for my birthday. If I had a choice in the matter, I would just hang out with Carmen.

Right before I could tell Misty to fuck off, my phone buzzed in my pocket. It was a text message from Carmen. She sent me a picture of her and Shadow cuddled up in her bed.

I smiled and texted her back.

"Who are you texting, smiling like that?" Misty spoke up, grabbing my attention.

"Nobody," I answered quickly.

Telling Misty about the situation I currently have going on with Carmen will open a can of worms. I know better. I don't want to engage in that conversation with Misty, because truthfully, I don't know what me and Carmen are doing.

We hang out, and we hold hands. Some days we kiss. It hasn't gotten any further than that.

"It's Carmen isn't it." Misty grinned. Her face lit up.

I've been careful not to tell her too much about what Carmen and I have going on. Although my family life is in total shit. I have not let it get to me too much. I hang out with Carmen almost every single day.

I let out a deep breath. "What if it was?" I answered. I made sure not to give her any eye contact. I focused my eyes on my phone.

"So are you guys together?" She asked inquisitively.