12| ɪᴛ'ꜱ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ᴡᴇɪʀᴅ

I sat in my car for probably fifteen minutes

I sat in my car for probably fifteen minutes. I watched everyone cheerfully walk into Misty's house to enjoy the over-the-top birthday party. Eventually, I was over dwelling in agony. I slipped my key in the ignition and ultimately decided to drive off.

Misty will likely kill me when she finds out I left the party early. I just had to leave. Hopefully, she didn't notice I was gone. I'm too certain she has already kicked off her overpriced heels and is drunkenly grinding to some rap song at this very moment.

I ripped the tie from my neck and threw it over my shoulder to the back seat of my car. My mind was running at a rapid pace.

Most of my thoughts were on Carmen. She looked amazing tonight. My many attempts to approach her tonight were unsuccessful. She has been avoiding me all day, and I don't know what I did wrong. I have gone out of my way to be nice to her.

I drove around the neighborhood for a couple of minutes before I got a phone call from Drew. He was asking me to get him a box of pizza. Initially, I wanted to tell him to fuck off, but I decided to get it. He has not been in good spirits. He was cut from the football team yesterday. I hate to say I saw it coming. When he was out in the field, he was not as fast as the other freshmen, and Coach Williams is very particular about who he chooses to be on the team.

As expected, our father is acting as if a nuclear bomb is heading our way. His irrational anger towards this is something that infuriates me to my core. All that should matter is that Drew gave his best. I've watched him transform himself over the summer. He has been super strict with his diet. If he needed a moment and wanted a pizza, so be it.

The only pizza spot that is open right now is Vinny's pizza downtown. I didn't have anything better to do so I made the drive out there. My mouth fell open when I saw Carmen standing in the corner wearing that dress that made my eyes feel like it was going to spring out of my eye sockets.

I could not keep my eyes off of her. She was standing beside her friend Faye for their slices of pizza.

I ran my hand through my hair. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but she was mind fucking me, and I was sick of it. I marched over to her and placed my hand on her bare shoulder. She whirled around and was shocked to see me.

"Can we talk?" I said with a sense of urgency.

She agreed, and we both walked outside.

"What's the matter with you?" I didn't mean to sound angry, but I was.

"What do you mean?" She asked with a shaky voice.

"Things between us were just getting okay, and now you are dodging me all day. What is that about?" My tone was laced with anger, but that was the feeling I resonated with most. I was angry.

"I- I don't know what you are talking about." Her eyes were fixed on the ground. She couldn't even look at me.

I felt a mountain of rage begin to consume me. I can't understand why she is suddenly so cold to me.