Day 21/22 - Gingerbread Houses (Bolin x Reader)

Once again I am incredibly surprised I wrote a oneshot for Bolin as opposed to Korra and Asami. But Bolin is definitely the better brother, he's just a silly little guy who deserves the biggest hugs ever.

———————————————————

The moon is high in the sky as snow covers the ground below it. Due to the late hour and the freezing cold of the winter holidays (Y/N) and Bolin have decided to spend their evening inside. Their plans? Have an epic contest to see who can make the better gingerbread house. Both (Y/N) and Bolin are both seated at the kitchen table across from each other. Surrounding them are various chocolates, icing colours and of course, gingerbread pieces.

Bolin has all his gingerbread pieces carefully laid out in front of him. "Plan. Let's each make the best gingerbread houses known to man to see who's better."

(Y/N)'s set up is much less organised and she scoffs at his high expectations. "I feel like your expectations are a little high there, Bolin."

He looks across at her side of the table and nods in agreement. "Ok then new plan. Make gingerbread houses together and see who loses their shit first."

A small laugh escapes (Y/N)'s lips as she too nods her head. "Much better."

"May the best gingerbread architect win!" Bolin declares, formally beginning their gingerbread house building contest.

Despite there being clear instructions on the box, (Y/N) decides to trust her instincts and just glue the pieces together in whatever way looks right. Bolin however carefully follows the instruction, evenly spreading the icing and overall taking his role as a gingerbread architect incredibly seriously.

"Could you pass the chocolate chips?" (Y/N) asks after placing icing in place of windows.

Bolin grabs the bag of chocolate chips but hesitates to pass it. "You're not just going to eat all of them, are you?"

"Not ALL of them, just most of them." (Y/N) shrugs, holding her hand out for the bag.

Bolin rolls his eyes but still hands her the bag "As long as you leave a few for me it's fine."

(Y/N) quickly snatches the bag before he can react. "I know better than to make promises I can't keep." She jokes, immediately taking a small handful to snack on.

Both (Y/N) and Bolin are focusing hard on their respective houses, not conversing much as they continue their builds. Bolin begins to hum to himself as he decorates the frosting path in front of his gingerbread house. (Y/N) looks up towards the sound and smiles, her eyes remaining on him, enjoying seeing him so engrossed in the small details. Unfortunately her distracted state turns against her.

As (Y/N)'s attention remains focused on Bolin, she doesn't notice the box sitting far too close to her gingerbread house. As she reaches for a new piping bag, her elbow knocks the box, causing it to fall towards the house. Fortunately she notices and quickly moves to catch the box. Unfortunately in the movement to catch the box, she smashes her hand against the house, completely destroying it.

(Y/N) doesn't say anything and just lets her head fall forward onto the table sighing at her failure.

Bolin instantly sees the dismay on (Y/N)'s face, quickly standing up and making his way around the table to her.

He leans down to her level behind her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Hey, no no no, don't be sad, it's ok. We can fix it."

(Y/N) shakes her head and scoffs at the disastrous sight in front of her. "Bolin, it already completely fell apart."

Bolin shakes his own head at her negativity. "That just means that we have to build it back up again." He suggests, trying to keep the mood cheerful. "Or even better yet, we can both work together to make one big house!"

"So much for our competition." (Y/N) jokes.

"It was never that serious to begin with," Bolin comforts, offering (Y/N) a hand to help her up. "C'mon." he offers, leading them both to his house on the other side of the table.

And so the two of them get right back to building the new combined gingerbread house. Or more accurately, Bolin is building the house while (Y/N) just snacks on the decoration lollies and chocolate while occasionally helping in small ways.

Bolin goes to place the last jellybean to finish the build but pauses and instead hands it to (Y/N). "Would you care to do the honours?"

"I would love to." (Y/N) happily takes the jellybean and places it on the roof of the house.

Bolin then stands up and stretches while admiring his handiwork. He smiles at the finished house and then turns to the girl next to him. (Y/N) is clearly also happy with the house, placing down her bag of chocolate chips and smiling brightly.

"We did it!" (Y/N) cheers jumping into Bolin's arms.

Bolin is quick to react, wrapping his arms around her. He lifts her slightly, spinning her around and holding her close as her arms wrap around his shoulders. They hold each other close, giving one another a big hug.

Unfortunately their perfect hug does not come without consequence. As Bolin spins (Y/N) around, she accidentally knocks the table... causing the gingerbread house to completely crumble to the floor.

Neither (Y/N) or Bolin say anything, just staring at the disaster in front of them. After a few moments of silence (Y/N) erupts into laughter, Bolin follows not long after.

Through her laughter (Y/N) can't help but make the comment "We suck at this!"

"We most definitely do." Bolin agrees, poking the gingerbread rubble as it seems to completely crumble with a single touch.

"All our hard work for nothing." She sighs, frowning down at the collapsed house.

Bolin smiles and grabs a piece of the wreckage. "At least we can just eat the gingerbread now without worrying about breaking the house."

"I don't think it's possible to ruin it more than it already is." (Y/N) grimaces, picking up her own piece of gingerbread.

The smile on Bolin's face doubles. "Exactly! It's a win win!" He declares, holding the piece in his hand triumphantly before taking a bite.

(Y/N) rolls her eyes at his antics before she too takes a bite of the broken gingerbread house.

———————————————————

As usual I hope that you're all having a bloody amazing day/night/whatever time you're reading. You all better be getting enough sleep, drinking enough water and most importantly of all, staying positive.

That's all from me so I'll see ya later mates 😁