Day 5/6 - Christmas Baking (Yang Xiao Long x Reader)

Welcome to day three of my 25 days of Christmas series. Here we have our first member of team RWBY making an appearance, expect more!

———————————————————

Panic fills the air as the kitchen window is thrown open, smoke quickly escaping as (Y/N) attempts to clear out the oven. Luckily no fires are started and no alarms go off but unfortunately the cookies she was attempting to bake are left

(Y/N) can't help but sigh as she tips the tray into the bin. "This is ridiculous..."

The sound of hushed laughter causes (Y/N) to whip her head around towards the doorway. (Y/N) glares at Yang as she leans against the doorframe, her mouth covered with her hand, trying to hold in her laughter.

(Y/N) all but throws the tray down, a scowl overtaking her face as she begins to storm out of the kitchen.

Realising her change in mood, Yang quickly moves across the room, wrapping (Y/N) in a loose hug and stopping her from leaving. "Hey now, don't be like that."

(Y/N) just frowns even more, leaning onto Yang and looking at the floor. "I wanted to surprise everyone with Christmas cookies but no matter what I try, they either come out all crumbly or burnt to a crisp."

Yang cringes at the sight of the kitchen and the horrible smell of burnt everything but tightens her hold on (Y/N). "Don't worry, (Y/N). We can salvage this."

"Are you sure about that? I think I've permanently made the kitchen stink."

Yang pulls away from their hug just enough for (Y/N) to be able to look up at her. "How about this, I'll help you bake the best cookies you've ever tasted if you let me eat the leftover cookie dough."

(Y/N) smiles a little, nodding her head. "You've got yourself a deal, Xiao long."

Yang places a soft kiss on (Y/N)'s forehead before fully pulling away. "I'll get started with the batter, you clean off those baking trays."

(Y/N) gives a small playful salute with a joking "Yes, ma'am." before scurrying off to clean off her mess and prepare the baking trays.

The two work in comfortable silence as they bake. Yang handles most of the actual baking and (Y/N) happily is on clean up duty. They finally get the cookies in the oven and set the timer. The two curl up on the couch for however long it takes them to finish baking and soon find themselves back in the kitchen, ready for a taste test.

(Y/N) is about to take a bite when Yang interrupts her. "Prepare yourself, (Y/N). These are going to be the greatest cookies of all time." Yang claims, picking up a cookie for herself.

(Y/N) rolls her eyes in response before taking a bite. Her eyes widen at the taste. "Wait, these are actually so good, what the hell?" she compliments, taking another bite.

Yang places a hand over her heart in mock offence. "Damn, (Y/N), don't act so surprised."

(Y/N) quickly finishes her cookie and reaches for another. "Where did you learn to bake like this?"

Yang smiles at her girlfriend's excitement and shrugs in response. "It was my mom's recipe. Ruby and I used to help her bake them when we were young."she explains, taking a bite herself.

(Y/N) pauses instantly. Yang hates talking about stuff like that yet here she is sharing Summer's recipes with her.

"Oh."

Recognising the change in (Y/N)'s tone, Yang realised the heavy topic that she accidentally brought up.

Yang quickly shakes her head and smiles. "I'm not upset or anything. It's kind of nice actually."

(Y/N) looks slightly relieved but still curious. "How so?"

"It's nice to share this kind of stuff instead of keeping it hidden," Yang explains. "What good is the best cookie recipe in the world if no one knows it?" she rhetorically asks, finally finishing her own cookie.

"Well I'm glad that you've shared it with me. Who knows how many more failed batches I would have gotten through if you hadn't."

"No problem. Now, c'mon," Yang says before moving towards the fridge. "A Christmas cookie is nothing without the right decorations." she smiles, pulling out different bags of icing.

The two get back to work, applying different colours of red, green and white to the different cookies.

(Y/N)'s hand slips, causing her to spill icing all over the counter. "Shit," she curses at the mess she makes. "Can't even decorate properly."

"Here," Yang starts, moving behind (Y/N) and taking a hold of both her hands. "Let me show help."

(Y/N) can feel her face growing hotter but doesn't respond, allowing Yang to guide her hands. Yang helps her get a better technique at using the icing, lacing their hands together and resting her chin on (Y/N)'s shoulder.

Once (Y/N) gets the hang of it Yang moves her hands to wrap around (Y/N)'s waist, making no effort to move away from her. Yang can't help but stare at her. She looks so cute with her tongue slightly poking out, completely focused on decorating the cookies.

After the last cookie was decorated, Yang finally let go of (Y/N). "I gotta say, (Y/N), these Christmas cookies are looking pretty good." Yang admired their work, looking at the trays of festive treats. "What do you say we go show the others?"

"Sounds perfect."

———————————————————

As usual I hope that you're all having a bloody amazing day/night/whatever time you're reading. You all better be getting enough sleep, drinking enough water and most importantly of all, staying positive.

That's all from me so I'll see ya later mates 😁