chapter 20 : summertime

summer

Months had slipped by before Y/n could declare the completion of her rehabilitation, a journey fraught with challenges and struggles

Months had slipped by before Y/n could declare the completion of her rehabilitation, a journey fraught with challenges and struggles. Throughout the process, Vinnie's silence remained constant, as expected given the circumstances. Y/n vividly recalled waking up in the hospital, greeted by the sight of her father patiently awaiting her recovery, accompanied by an assortment of stolen flowers courtesy of Mandy.

Mandy, a stalwart presence during Y/n's hospitalization and rehabilitation, had been a constant support. Despite the lack of a chance for Y/n and Lip to sit down and discuss the tumultuous events, Y/n was aware of the Karen-Lip drama and the regrettable encounter between her and Frank, which had been surreptitiously filmed and shown to her against her wishes by Mandy.

Now, as the summertime unfolded, Y/n anticipated her release from the facility that had held her captive. The welcome back into the Gallagher household was predictably ordinary, with everyone expressing their happiness at her return before resuming their daily routines.

The summer proved to be as welcoming as Y/n had hoped. She found herself basking in the warm sunlight, lying on her bed with the covers draped over her body. However, there was a clandestine aspect to her return—the Gallaghers remained oblivious to her presence. Emmy, spending half of the summer at a camp organized by Lucy, was conveniently absent, sparing Y/n from potential spoilage of the surprise.

Lucy, on the other hand, seemed to be embracing an attitude of denial. Owen occupied with a busy trip, hesitated to leave, uncertain about what he might return to, especially given Lucy's strained communication with Y/n. The tension between them was palpable, casting a shadow over the semblance of normalcy that Summer had brought into Y/n's life.

Her phone on the side table started to ring unbarley; causing her to reach over and grab it putting the phone to her ear. "One what kind of sandwich do you want from the corner, and two wake up," Claire said on the other side of the phone. 

Claire was someone whom she had met in rehab, she was there for PTSD. The two of them were able to connect on the stories that they had making them closer. Besides, Claire also winded up living in the South Side for all of her life, and a dream science major. 

"Ham, please; and I am" She quietly spoke into her phone running her hand through her hair and sitting up on her bed opening her blinds to let all of the sun into her room. 

The heat was kicking Y/n's ass right away moving over and pulling the blinds up, creaking her window in the process. She felt like, there were full things of sweat just sitting inside of her bed. Summer was supposed to be exciting, but it was nothing but a bunch of trying to not be depressed for Y/n. 

"I should be over in twenty, I'm finishing some sessions in the library before I come over." Clare continued to talk on the other end of the phone, she was someone who loved anything that had to do with