chapter 16 : making the bed

making the bed │ season 1

                                    A GENTE KNOCK SOUNDED AT THE DOOR, followed by a muffled "go away

                                    A GENTE KNOCK SOUNDED AT THE DOOR, followed by a muffled "go away." However, Y/n paid no heed to the dismissal, her fingers curling around the doorknob. She slowly turned it, revealing the dimly lit room with the curtains drawn. There, sitting on her bed, was Debbie, her tear-streaked face buried in a pillow.

Y/n took a cautious step further into the room, the aging wooden floor creaking softly beneath her weight. The noise drew Debbie's attention, her reddened eyes and trembling lips peeking out from behind the pillow. She gazed at Y/n with a mix of surprise and resignation, the vulnerability in her eyes laid bare. 

She quickly rushes to her bedside and pats her on the shoulder. "Debbie? Are you okay? What's the matter? Tell me." She looks at Debbie with concern, expecting an answer.

"Jimmy is taking Fiona" Debbie exposed; causing Y/n to furrow her eyebrows. 

"Jimmy?" 

"Steve's real name is Jimmy" the head girl confessed holding onto the pillow tightly. 

Y/n eyes widen with surprise as she takes in this revelation. "Oh Wow...He lied to us." She continued to look at Debbie with confusion, hoping that she would tell her further details. "Monica?" 

"I saw her with Frank..." Debbie ducked her head down not wanting to talk about the sadness Monica brought with her everywhere. 

Suddenly Y/n notices how much Debbie is shaking and takes her in her arms and holds her close. "Shh. It's okay. Take a deep breath. Everything is fine." She strokes Debbie's hair, hoping to comfort her somehow.

The mere mention of Monica Gallagher was enough to cast a shadow of discomfort and avoidance over the entire household. 

Feelings of dislike and disrespect simmered in the hearts of all, a collective sentiment stemming from the fact that Monica had abandoned her six children, returning sporadically like an elusive ghost to disrupt their lives. The last time she had graced their doorstep, Monica had nearly convinced Carl to wreak havoc on the entire house, oblivious to the consequences of her actions.

Moreover, the friendship between Monica and Lucy was a tempestuous one, a storm of ego and selfishness. 

Both women seemed to care about no one but themselves. Lucy was a narcissistic figure, displaying a complete disregard for Y/n and Emmy unless it served her own interests. Monica, on the other hand, was a volatile presence, a ticking time bomb ready to explode and sow chaos wherever she went. Their nights were filled with arguments, usually culminating with Lucy returning home, questioning why Y/n hadn't completed this task or that.

Y/n had a deep understanding of the complex emotions swirling within Debbie. The desire to be close to one's mother, the person who had given birth to you, was undeniable.