ONE

His portfolio was structured like the love child of a job application and a modeling agency. It was a frustrating thing to read, especially when the main goal was to know more on a man I was to spend the next six months with- a little more information than his height, academic achievements,  eye fucking color and of all the things his family of origin would have helped. Greatly. It wasn't that it was a bad portfolio, I didn't know much about the corporate world but I knew a good thing when I saw one- it's that it was so mechanically and flimsily curated that there was no trace of personality in them. The online articles were easily as useless, obviously staged pictures and curated stories- the picture perfect boy of the picture perfect family. Charity works and succesful projects. Plays golf. Devastatingly handsome in that preppy curated way. Such a perfect little project, the Moon Ga PR team deserved every coin that went to their bank account. I deserved more information.

His social media was worse, not a glimpse of personality,  not one single hair out of place, not a single unstaged photo, not a single pet- pet!!!. Photos posted after months, no sequence whatsoever to them. Frustrating. Two hours of cyber stalking for the tenth day in a row and nothing. Yes I'd stooped as low as watching interviews and online edits. Yes I know.

Alexander Moon Ga was waiting in what was the living room of his mansion when I arrived- I'd received a copy of the map? Whatever the architects call it- just minutes before my arrival. It was imparative- his mother said- that I understand the topography. Very soon I was to be the caretaker of this house- and by very soon they meant as soon as I stepped in. He sat next to his mother, the only one I'd directly conversed with over my week long knowledge of this job. She looked every inch the empress she was- tweed and pearls. Perfectly manicured nails, the youth of a demigod and the aire of an empress. The power dynamic in this room was glaringly obvious,  and even more obvious the fact that we were all in agreement with it.

He was in a suit the first time I saw him. A suit. In his own home. No complains, Alexander had always made for excellent eye candy but the man looked suffocated next to his mother, bored out of his mind and unable to focus. I bowed in respect, a gesture he acknowledged in a nod. A few words were exchanged as someone snatched my luggage and a few tiny women in uniforms strutted around.

"Clara. We've been waiting all morning. Ah, you're finally here. How was your flight?"

Nauseating. I'm jet lagged.

"It was alright,  Ms. Moon. I appreciate the provision. Very comfortable. "

She nod. The man beside her said nothing. I helped myself to the glass of water offered. A few seconds passed.

"I will be taking my leave then,  don't forget what we talked about. Reach out when need be"

I bowed in respect. She flashed a tight lipped smile. I nod goodbye as she left. The man on the couch did not acknowledge me until the door shut behind her, and back there I swear we both released the same breath. He eyed me in curiosity and part caution.

"Clara May"

I nod. Then again. Then confirmed it verbally.

"Take rest, Clara May. You'll need it. You know where your room is?"

I nod, again. Then again. Then confirmed it verbally.

"I'll see you in the morning then. Take the rest, Clara May. You will need it"

I thought- his hair was a mess. That was the first thing I learned about my boss X housemate to be. Sometimes,  his hair wasn't in the right place.