ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴏɪsᴇ

Preface; my prompt was I could write an essay using lyrics from the album we listened to in class. "Ok, Computer" by Radiohead. This previous unit was based off AI so we listened to said album. Anything in italics is a lyric.
I hope you all enjoy. :)

———————————————

November, 2023
Welcome to [ʀᴇᴅᴀᴄᴛᴇᴅ's] guide to surviving in 2023. Now, you're either reading this because you've realized how difficult it is to live in this world without help, you've finally become self-aware and don't know what's going on, or you've decided to (for some reason) time travel to 2023 and your time machine is broken leaving you stranded until you fix it. Anyway, I've been doing this for about 17 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about, that means don't fact-check anything you read in this.

Trust me when I say this, don't take a quiet life. Most people decide to live a quiet life but then they live miserably. They work a 9-5 and go home to work on what they didn't finish in the office, it's a job that slowly kills you one that makes you say "Get me out of here", but you'll stay cause you need the money. Yes, that was the American dream years ago, but now people don't want to be helpless like that. Not to mention the impact AI and machines have made on us and our jobs. They've built machines to do most of the blue-collar jobs causing most people to lose their jobs. If you're one of those people just breathe, keep breathing and don't lose your nerve, there will always be jobs robots and AI can't replace.

Could you keep it down? You don't have to talk so loud! ...sorry my friend had the TV too loud.

January, 2024

If you're not old enough to have a job and are still in school, then I feel for you. Sometimes you feel like you've given it all you can yet, it's not enough. You'll hope their rules and wisdom choke them because you'll feel so helpless. There are times when school isn't fair or teachers have rules that seem stupid as hell and they don't really teach because they don't truly know anything. They'll give you website names or you'll find some AI website to do the work for you, but you'll still feel helpless. AI is so easy to access now that a 6-year-old with an iPad could probably solve for X after downloading Mathway or a 10-year-old could write an essay on quantum physics with ChatGPT.

Please, could you stop the noise? I'm trying to get some rest and finish this book. Sorry about that...my friends are trying to talk to me and, uh, it's very loud. Where was I?

June, 2024

In normal day life people can also sort of be a pain. Someone has to use AI to make engineers want to make it better. I don't know why they would want to do that though, it's already everywhere. Artists (musicians and painters/drawers) are already taking a hit. People use AI all the time to make stuff that real humans spend hours on, stuff they put their blood, sweat, and tears in, i guess it makes them helpless too. I'm sure people are already making robots, physical ones, who knows maybe in the future your boss will be a robot. Or your partner. Or your children. Hell, maybe even your dead grandparents! I mean we've already been able to talk to a dead celebrity, that's already been made, it's only a moment before your grandmother walks through the door holding her famous dessert even though she's been 6 feet under for a few years.

I SAID BE QUIET! Ignore what just happened, that was nothing. For a minute I lost myself, that's it, ignore it. I may be paranoid, but I'm not an android.

April, 2028

They're talking about AI implants. They make you smarter, I don't want one. My friend got one she tells me it's great, but I don't believe her. She twitches sometimes...she didn't do that before. I got laid off, they found a more efficient "person" to fill my position. My boss said it was because they're fitter, healthier, and more productive, but I know It's a robot. I know it is. It looks so real, they've gotten good at that, the creators can make them look almost real, but I can tell if they're fake. I know who is real and who isn't, I'm sure of it. It's 2028 now. Only 4 years and our world has already become a hell hole, it scares me to think about 10 years from now.

I don't watch the news. It's something that doesn't interest me as much. I don't want to be brainwashed into getting the stupid Implant. I've locked myself in my house, I feel helpless and now this is all I can control. I want my quiet life back. I'll take quiet life and a handful of carbon monoxide over this hell any day.

Just leave me alone, my life is already hell! ...that didn't happen, okay?

May, 2029

The implant creators made it more advanced. The implant has access to your brain and they've decided to encourage people to get it by wiping people's memory of anyone who doesn't have it. My friends and family got the implant...they don't remember me now, that's how I know. I asked and begged for them to remember, but they didn't. WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER MY NAME?

If you have real children and not robot ones, lock the kids up safe. Trust me, the real world is a place you don't want them to see.

I watched the news today...there was nothing else on. They said that with the implant you'll be happy and feel better. They said people without it look so tired, so unhappy...they're right.

I know I'm alone you don't have to keep reminding me. ...I'm sorry the noises won't leave me alone.

July, 2029

They've started to take people without the implant away. I don't know what they're doing to them, but I've hidden myself. I have yet to be found and I hope it stays that way. They started taking them after people started to fight back. It was mostly teens and young adults who refused the implant and wanted their families back. They said, "This is what you get when you mess with us." I don't blame them, I miss my life before this.

The door is rattling, I hear shouting. I've been found this is it... it's over for me now.

Maybe they can stop the noise?

July, 2029

This is my last entry into this survival guide, I snuck it into my cell. They say the implant procedure will be painless, the anesthetic is already in my system. I'm sorry my "survival guide" wasn't much help. We should've taken the quiet life and just lived with the helplessness. It's silent now, I just hear silence, no fighting, no resisting, no noise. It's just silent, silent...