At The End of Time

Start from the beginning

You deeply sigh. You know you've been pushing everyone around you to their limit. And, you know you've been pushing yourself beyond yours.

"I'm sorry, OB," you say as you sink your face into your palms. "I'm just desperate."

He goes to pat your back comfortingly, but all came out to be a little awkward because he didn't know how many pats were considered enough. You see his face contort into something of empathy and pity when you raised your head.

"It's okay." He says. "We have time."

You slump in your seat, your eyes darting everywhere. It was evident that you were trying to come up with an idea— any idea. The cogs in your brain begin to turn, and OB could feel it across from you. He turns to you slowly, a bit in concern by how intensely you were eyeing the water bottle in front of you. If you stared at it a little longer, it might just combust in flames.

"OB," you say, feeling something spark in your head. "What was the last thing you saw before Loki held the timelines?"

OB, taken aback by your sudden enthusiasm, stammers a semblance of a reply, "I- uh- Right. Loki. Uhm— He got a new outfit? I don't know what you want me to say—"

"OB. OB." You now had a frantic look in your eye, which further concerns the man before you. "He walked on air."

"What?"

"Well— not really. But, he somehow managed to walk on the broken bridge to get to the end of time. Perhaps, it was his will? Maybe his power? I don't know for certain. But, it's possible to go to him."

OB stares at you, his lips parted in utter bewilderment. But, the cogs in his head also begin to turn. An idea begins to take hold in his mind as well. His eyes light up, his demeanor shifting from disbelief to honest excitement.

Then, he remembers. His memory clears. He sees in his mind how Loki steps into seemingly thin air. It was like a platform began to form beneath his feet, then dissipates just as quickly after he stepped on it.

"Oh my God! You're right!" OB exclaimed.

"We could make something, yeah?" You ask him just as enthusiastically.

"We could! We just have to hope it works."

You nod your head at him. "I can work with that. So, what do you have in mind?"

-

You remember how you and OB came up with a sort of materializer thingy. You remember showing the blueprint to Mobius and how he grinned at the idea. You remember how Mobius encouraged you and OB to make it.

So you did.

You remember OB presenting you the prototype of the device. You remember its weight and how your hand easily fit the little device. You remember how it resembled a laser gun, but instead of spewing lasers, it puts out a pulsing wave that momentarily forces the atoms present in space together.

You remember how OB specifically tells you that you had an approximate of five seconds before the little platforms would dissipate. You remember how he tweaked it to make it more compact and how he replaced the trigger with a simple button.

You remember how OB said he put a tracker on the device so he could monitor your location as you travelled to Loki. You remember how you began to suit up in an anti-radiation suit. You remember OB telling you 'just in case' multiple times.

You remember how many times you thanked him.

You remember when the doors opened before your eyes.

You remember taking your first step.