24

"I really am fine." Eden reassured Aziraphale as he tucked a blanket around her shoulders. 

Aziraphale ignored her and deflected her words, "Why don’t you tell me more about yourself dear? It'll keep us occupied until Crowley is finished. It won't take him long, mind you."

Aziraphale’s main goal was to try and find out the origin of the scars that riddled Eden’s face. There was even one on her arm. It was very concerning that one so young had so many scars, especially if she was his counterpart's daughter.

"Uh…I really don't know where to begin or if I should begin…." Eden replied reluctantly.

Aziraphale was about to say something encouraging but a loud BANG interrupted him. Eden and Aziraphale jumped. "What's that?!" Eden exclaimed. 

"Oh dear, he's back! Stay low! He should go away after he wastes a few bullets like yesterday." Aziraphale said reassuringly as he instinctively stood in front of Eden. 

Eden peeked around Aziraphale and looked out the window. She saw the Metatron brandishing a golden pistol and firing it at the invisible barrier just beyond the bookshop's doors. The golden bullets bounced off the barriers like harmless pebbles. 

"Come out come out oh great Champion!" Metatron called out mockingly. "You have something of mine, something of great importance and I'm not leaving until I get it back!"

"You'll have to kill me to get it then!" Aziraphale flinched at the sudden ferocity from Eden,  who was meek seconds ago. "You're not going to erase my family!" Eden was now standing beside Aziraphale and glaring daggers at Metatron. Her serpent stare the spitting image of Crowley’s despite the different color.

Metatron smiled wickedly. "Oh yes I will. One by one. And I'll start with those wretched children of yours, who, like you, should have never been born! Angels and demons having offspring is absolutely blasphemous and-"

"Rrrrrrraaaaaaaagggggghhhhhh!" A guttural roar pierced the air and before anyone could react, Eden flew out the doors straight at Metatron. Fangs bared as she effortlessly shifted into her serpent form. Shimmering white scales, dotted with black scales here and there and scar tissue was a genuinely terrifying sight to behold. 

Metatron however didn't look phased as Eden tried to bite him. He dodged. Eden missed him by inches. "I believe this is what got you killed last time." He struck her in the head with the butt of the pistol. Eden cried out in pain and collapsed on her side. The blow was so hard that Eden had shifted back into her regular form.

"I'm feeling a little merciful today." Metatron whispered softly as he knelt beside Eden. "Return the Book of Life to me immediately and I'll be willing to negotiate with you. I'm willing to reinstate the original arrangement I had in mind." 

Feeling a large bump forming on the side of her head, Eden rasped, "Come closer." Metatron leaned down expectantly. "Go fuck yourself." Eden then raised her fist and punched Metatron as hard as she possibly could. 

Metatron flew backwards as Eden shot to her feet, realizing that she was in the middle of the road. Aziraphale was standing in the doorway of the bookshop looking horrified with his arms extended out to her, beckoning her to safety.

Eden wanted nothing more than to go to him but she couldn't put him and Crowley in any more danger.

"You bitch!" Metatron swore. "I'm going to fucking destroy you!" Metatron had grabbed the pistol and was aiming it straight at her. 

Before Eden, Aziraphale, and even Crowley, who had heard the commotion and rushed downstairs, could do anything, Metatron fired the gun. The gunshot rang out, echoing throughout the empty streets of Soho London and it was cut off by Eden’s scream when the bullet struck Archangel Gabriel in the stomach.