10

"Now that you've mentioned something, she does have a strange smell to her….." Crowley pondered once Aziraphale cleaned the blood away and bandaged the girl's head injury. "It's not just her scent, Crowley, it's her aura. Can't you feel it?" Aziraphale tucked a blanket around her shoulders. "It's like yours and mine put together but it's supercharged. It feels like two separate energies are combined within her."

"It's the same with her scent." Crowley said. "Can't tell what she is. She's definitely not human though…." 

"Well, come look at her eyes Crowley." Her eyelids were fluttering again and as Crowley took a step closer, her eyes opened. 

"Those are demon eyes!" Crowley gasped as he took a step back. "But that's impossible! Her scent has a hint of angel along with-"

"Demon." Aziraphale concluded out loud as the girl's eyes drifted shut again. 

"Her eyes…." Crowley continued, "They looked like yours." Those blue eyes, aside from the strange pupils, were the spitting image of Aziraphale’s. He would know those blue irises anywhere. 

"Oh don't be silly Crowley." Aziraphale shrugged him off as he instinctively ran a hand through the girl's thick curls. He felt an unexpected urge to protect her at all costs. "Let's get some extra blankets and I'm going to need you to fetch me some more medical supplies. This poor girl is in bad shape and I won't stand for it!"

Crowley glanced at the leather-bound book lying on Aziraphale’s desk, then he looked back at the girl. He felt his chest ache at the sight of her. She was just a kid, barely an adult and her family was probably looking for her. He assumed she had a family because she was clearly not a normal…..whatever she was. And she must have the Book of Life for a very good reason. It clearly wasn't the same Book of Life that he was familiar with, but it was a Book of Life all the same.

Regardless, Crowley felt the urge to protect the young girl too. As he left to fetch some more blankets, he stopped when he stepped on something. He looked down and saw a tartan bow barrette. It must have fallen from the girl's hair. Poor kid. Crowley tucked it into his pants pocket and hurried along. He would keep it safe for now, until she woke up.