3

South Downs Cottage had been a place of blissful chaos ever since Crowley and Aziraphale’s seven grandchildren had been dropped off earlier that day along with the family's five dogs. The children insisted that the dogs come along ever since Grandfather Aziraphale suggested it. Their parents were in need of some quality time without the dogs as well and the children wanted the dogs to come with them anyways. The day had been spent playing games and enjoying scrummy food and when night finally came, to the children’s delight, bedtime stories came with over the top, yet impeccable performances from their grandparents.

When the children finally fell asleep from laughing too much and a couple of more games thanks to Crowley giving in to Kokabiela and Terri being particularly tempting with their "puppy dog eyes", Aziraphale felt a dull pain in his ankle and a familiar ache in the center of his stomach. 

In which he decided to check in on his Little One.

   "There we are now." Gabriel said gently as he propped Eden’s freshly healed ankle on an extra soft pillow. "Nice and comfy. Now I want you to keep your entire foot elevated until I say otherwise, Edie. Who knows what other injuries you could have suffered tonight." Gabriel had not only healed his wife's foot but it was even still wrapped in gauze with an ice pack on her ankle. "I'll call Bella first thing in the morning for an appointment, in case I missed something." Dr. Bella Young was a good friend and private family doctor. She knew all too well the family situation.

"You could have a concussion too-" Gabriel fretted as he ran his fingers through his wife's curls. "My poor Edie, I should have gone with you." 

"Gabe, I'm fine." Eden said when she finally got a word in. "You know that I am." He had gone out of his way to help her clean her hair and miracle away the filth that smeared her barrette. It was cleaned in a timely manner and left on the bedside table. 

"Then why does your stomach still hurt you?" Gabriel demanded. He placed a hand on her stomach, right where her scar was.

"It's just one of those things I guess." Eden replied. "It's only temporary, you know that." She placed her hand over Gabriel’s. They had talked with the doctor about this. It was most likely due to the severe nerve and muscle damage she had suffered during the War and sadly there was nothing that could be done about it except wait for it to go away. 

"I can see the discomfort it causes you and I wish I could take it away. I don't understand why it's still hurting you even after all this time…..it's just a scar….." 

"Scars can still hurt Gabe." Eden replied. "We just have to learn to cope with them." Eden tried to get up when her cell phone rang but Gabriel stopped her. "Don't move."

"It's just on our bookshelf love." 

"I don't care, don't move." Gabriel shot to his feet and fetched the phone and answered it, leaving a very exasperated Eden left to watch as Gabriel filled in a very concerned pair of parents on what had transpired earlier. 

Eden practically snatched the phone from Gabriel and tried to reassure her parents that she was fine but they sounded really worried despite her attempts.

"Phantom pain, Little One?" Aziraphale asked. 

"Yeah." Eden replied stiffly. She sounded so much like her father Aziraphale got a little teary eyed. 

"Have that Archangel make you some herbal tea!" Crowley declared over Aziraphale’s shoulder. "That should help you sleep through the worst of it, in case it does get worse!" 

Gabriel’s eyes grew wide with realization and he darted out of the bedroom then and there.

"It's not as bad this time, Daddy!" Eden said but Crowley ignored her. "Better safe than sorry Queenie, you know how painful these phantom pains can be. Strange that it's only from that one scar and not the others…."

"The holy fire did a lot of internal damage Crowley….." Aziraphale recalled, which led to a moment of awkward silence. 

"Well, we'll let you be so you can have your tea and get some rest. But we'll call you first thing in the morning! Goodnight Little One!"

"Goodnight Queenie! We love you!" 

"Good night guys, love you too."

"And be more careful riding that horse! Better yet no riding at all until I get you suitable equipment. I'll buy you a new saddle, an unbreakable one! And it'll be much more comfortable too! Terrible design flaw on that so-called "tack"! It's uncomfortable as hell! I never would have invented it if I was going to be stuck sitting on that damn piece of leather for hundreds of years in order to go places!" 

"Crowley, hang up, you're rambling again." 

"It's concerning our baby Aziraphale, so it's an important ramble!" 

Aziraphale sighed then said, "Hope you feel better soon my crepe, we'll give you a ring tomorrow morning to check on you." The phone beeped as the call ended. 

Eden plopped her cellphone on the bed next to her and stared at the ceiling.

A burst of light appeared, startling her and a snow white envelope floated down and landed into her lap.

Eden opened the envelope and read the letter, it said, 

Eden Alexandria Queen Fell, I have an important matter to discuss with you urgently and in private. Please report to Heaven's new  Headquarters located at the base of the Great Clock of Westminster. 

Come alone

Metatron 

Eden cocked her head in surprise. She hadn’t seen Metatron in an entire year. Not since the incident involving Lucifer and after that he had gone silent. Eden had expected to hear from him again and much sooner…..

Eden shoved the letter and the envelope under her pillow when Gabriel returned with a steaming mug of tea. The warm liquid was contained in her dark blue TARDIS mug, usually used for cocoa and hot chocolate. 

“Your tea is ready, my love.” Gabriel said as he handed Eden the mug. “It’s already cooled and ready to drink, and I mixed it with the perfect blend of sugar and honey so that it’ll be tasty and not bitter.” 

“Thanks, Gabe.” Eden took a sip and savored the sweetness. "Oh that's perfect."

"Drink all of it now." Gabriel murmured as he placed his hand on the center of her stomach, right where her scar was. He started to gently rub it in large lazy circles as a warmth emanated from the palm of his hand.  Eden drank her tea and thanks to Gabriel’s gentle rubs, the pain slowly went away. To Gabriel’s relief, Eden was clearly becoming more relaxed and he could tell by the look in her eyes that the pain was subsiding. "Is your back hurting you?" Gabriel asked gently, worried about the scar tissue on her back. She had been run through all those years ago and occasionally suffered phantom pain on her back as well. Eden shook her head to his relief. 

"I'm done." Eden said as she finished her drink. She was going to get up to take her mug downstairs to put it in the sink but Gabriel snapped his fingers and the mug disappeared. "I took care of it for you." 

"You know-" Eden turned to face the Archangel with a mischievous grin, "You're so good to me, you overprotective, wonderful, beautiful angel." Eden leaned forward and kissed Gabriel on the lips, then rubbed her cheek against his sleek black, gray and white flecked beard. Gabriel’s cheeks flushed red. "Edie…." He rasped, "I would do anything for you…..anything for my Edie……" 

Eden kissed him again. "I know that my darling. How can I ever repay you?" 

Gabriel moaned with pleasure as Eden made her way down his neck. "You owe me nothing….but please don't stop what you're doing…..I like it…." Gabriel trembled when she touched the nape of his neck. "Oh of course my love, as you wish." Eden grinned as she unbuttoned his shirt with her free hand. 

"Hold still now so I can thank you properly."

It was now midnight. Eden had no idea how she managed to detach Gabriel from her. The Archangel had both of his arms wrapped around her so snugly that she was afraid that she wasn't going to be able to get out of bed until morning or if she decided to wake him. But she eventually managed to free herself, got dressed, gave her husband a kiss on the cheek and made her way outside towards the backyard where her trusty TARDIS was waiting.