LIFE 1

WEI TING entered his quiet and dark condominium unit. The time now was three in the morning yet Hong Kong city had never slept and most of the citizen were still awake at this time. It was New Year anyway. It was already past midnight but he still could see the beautiful fireworks lightened up the dark skies from his place. Wei Ting threw his tired body onto the comfy couch and closed his eyes.

His schedules had always been tight for the first week of New Year. He had performed his new song during New Year Concert and usually at this hour, he would not be at home as he would attend after-party and indulged himself with alcohol while having fun with his other celebrity friends. The next morning, he would have very bad hangover until his mother had to prepare the soup and medications for him.

"They must have a lot of fun celebrating New Year in London right now," Wei Ting took out his phone and checked it. He had received no call or message from his family at all. Due his tight schedules, he usually would greet them in the morning. Wei Ting sighed heavily before he threw the phone beside him. His gaze fixed at the sculpted ceiling above him. His New Year celebration had always been fun.

Fun might me understatement. His New Year had always been exhilarated for the last two years. After concert, he would secretly bring his girlfriend to after-party and had fun without worrying being caught or photographed by paparazzi. The elated moments continued and became hotter once they arrived at his condominium unit.

Wei Ting shook his head. It had been 10 months since he had intimate relationship with woman. Honestly, it had never been a problem for him to get laid as many women previously had been trying their lucks to seduce him to the bed. However, he had reached the age where he would not try to get himself into the trouble by involving with sex scandals.

Ting! His phone received several notifications from Weibo. Wei Ting scrolled the page and one of his celebrity friends' post managed to get his attention. His lips automatically curved a smile as he read that post.

'She just posted 3 minutes ago. Is she still awake?' without wasting a second, Wei Ting texted his friend.

'It is already late. Why are you still awake?'

'Look who is talking? Aren't you awake as well and even has a time to disturb me," Wei Ting grinned after he received the reply from her. This time he did not bother to reply the text. Instead, he pressed the 'video call' button and waited patiently for her to answer his call.

"Wei Ting Ge,"

"Hello, Rounan!" his smile turned wider when he saw Rounan's big eyes on the phone screen before she moved her face away from it. Rounan quietly adjusted phone on the phone holder while Wei Ting patiently waited for her. They had been friends since 2021 and even though they lived thousand miles away, they would make sure to keep in touch with each other.

"Eh, you still have make-up on you face. Are you just returned from somewhere? Date with Zixin?" he continuously teased Rounan. It was no longer a secret that Rounan had been dating Lee Zixin, the rising actor and also her co-star in the fantasy romance drama that they had filmed three years ago.

Zixin who was three years older that Rounan, had always been vocal about his feeling towards Rounan and they finally made their relationship official two years ago. Many of her fans rejoiced and congratulated this relationship.

"No. Just a family dinner," she replied as she sat comfortable on the chair. Rounan glanced at the clock wall. It was almost 4 in the morning yet she still in her dress despite had been inside her room for two hours now.

"Oh, no Zixin?" asked Wei Ting curiously. He still remembered the video call that Rounan made to him during last New Year celebration. Zixin greeted him along as he was beside Rounan during the video call.

"Rounan, are you okay? Do you have any problem to share with me?" Rounan remained quiet. Wei Ting knew Rounan had been hiding something from him but he did not want to force her to share if she was not ready for it. Rounan was looking down while Wei Ting's gaze remained on the phone screen.

"Wei Ting Ge...," Rounan broke the silence.

"Zixin and I.....," she paused and looked hesitant to continue.

"What about you guys? Did you guys have a fight?" Wei Ting tried to guess.

"Zixin and I have broken up. About 6 months ago," Rounan finally told the truth. She looked back at the phone screen and Wei Ting's reaction was similar as she had expected. He was completely surprised and confused at the same time.

"What? Rounan, you are not pulling a prank on me, right?" Wei Ting laughed awkwardly while rubbing the back of his neck. Honestly, he had a hard time to believe because it was the last month the pictures of Zixin and Rounan went on the date night went viral. Those pictures had completely shut down all the rumour that their relationship was in trouble because Zixin had involved with cheating scandal with the new actress that was much younger than Rounan.

"It's not a prank, Wei Ting Ge. It is the truth. Beside than my family and my agency, you are the first person to know about my real status with Zixin," Rounan face was serious. There was no hint that she was just pulling a prank on him. Wei Ting blinked several times as he was still trying to process the news. If they had separated 6 months ago, why they still acted like a couple? Wei Ting bit his inner cheeks as he finally able to arrange the puzzles inside his head.

"Is it because of Zixin's new drama that you guys still have to act like a couple?" when Rounan silently stared at his face, Wei Ting knew that his guess was correct. It had been all over the internet and media that Zixin's new drama would be airing in March this year. It was a high budget fantasy romance drama and of course he had to avoid any scandal that could bring the loss to the investors.

"So, about the cheating scandal..?" Wei Ting could not continue his words. Suddenly he felt guilty for not being by her side when she had to face and endure the pain alone.

"Why didn't you tell me much earlier?" Wei Ting's voice was soft yet regretful. Rounan remained silent. Two years ago, Wei Ting was the first one who knew about her relationship with Zixin. When they were filming a variety cooking show two years ago, Rounan was very firm about being just a friend with Zixin despite Zixin's effort to woo her.

However, two weeks after they ended filming the variety show, Rounan made a surprise phone call to him and told him that she finally accepted Zixin as her boyfriend. Few days later, they couple took storm in internet and media by announcing their official relationship.

"It won't change anything. We agreed to pretend as couple until his drama finish airing and promotional season end,"

"Hah? Then you guys have to pretend as a couple for like a year. Are you okay with that?" Wei Ting was completely disagreed with Rounan. Honestly, he could not read what inside Rounan's head right now.

"I'm okay with it. Plus, I'm having a new project with you. I don't want my problems ruin our project. We have been waiting for it for years," said Rounan. Both Rounan and Wei Ting had worked on few variety shows in this five years but the next project was going to be their second drama as the main leads.

"But still.."

"I'm okay with it, Wei Ting Ge. You don't have to worry much about me. I'm completely fine now," Rounan said with a smile on her face but Wei Ting knew her well. She was not fine. She was still in pain. She was still heartbroken. She could not fool him but being a good brother did not mean he had to force her to be honest with her own feeling. Being a good brother means being by her side without telling or judging her what she had done right or wrong.

"No matter what happens to you, just remember that I'll always be by your side to protect you," if Rounan was right beside him, he definitely would hug her to comfort. Ever since the first time he saw her at the filming site five years ago, he had always had the feeling to protect her. That feeling would never change and she would always have a place in his heart.