Chapter 42

LIZ'S P.O.V

It's early September, the morning sun gently kisses my skin, my back pressed against the  grass beside the pool. The wind touches my skin softly, sending a wave of goosebumps through my bare arms. Willow rests on my stomach, both of us being bathed by the morning sun as we lay in the backyard.

Without any hesitation I can say I feel happy.

These past few weeks have been amazing, it almost feels wrong to admit that I felt happiness. I was still grieving over Zack, I don't think I'll ever let the grief wash away, after all he was someone I loved dearly. I still dreamt about him sometimes, but the nightmare turned into sweet dreams filled with old memories.

Sometimes I'd wake up with a hole in my heart. I can't tell if the nightmares or the sweet dreams haunted me more, either way they both hurt, but I was slowly starting to lose any emotion when it came to them.

That night was an insurmountable memory, and nobody will ever understand the pain I went through except Harry. Both of us lost someone very dear to us that night, and we were both the cause for that loss. It still hurts me to think about it, but I've accepted the fact that no matter how much regret and guilt I feel I can't change a single thing. I might've been selfish, but I just wanted to live. I just hope that one day I can finally be free of the guilt that was caused by my choices that night. 

I hope soon I'll be washed away of the guilt I've been feeling since I was a little girl.

I was slowly starting to adjust to my new life, it took some time but I got used to living here. I liked living here, Harry's house was peaceful and quiet, it had an amazing view of the city and some nights I'd spend by the pool just admiring the sunset, but most of all it felt safe and that's all that mattered.

I also wasn't alone, I had Harry and Willow now.

Harry and I drove to the vet the morning after we found her. Our plan was to get her checked by a professional, make sure she's healthy and search for her owner. I even had pictures and posters printed out to put out around the area where we found her, but our plan changed quickly.

The doctor that day told us heart wrenching news that almost made me wish I stayed home. Willow was neglected by her old owner, starved, and dehydrated. She wasn't doing good physically and the vet told us it'd take her some time to recover.

We never looked for the old owner, they didn't deserve Willow back, so now she was officially staying with us.

A month later and I think I can say that Willow is happy too, I think she really likes it too, and I think she feels safe with us too.

After we got her checked out by the vet we drove to the pet store, Harry picked out a bunch of toys, cat food and a bed that he had placed in his room, she never used it though.

Willow took any chance she can to jump in bed with us. Some mornings I'd find her sleeping peacefully at the edge of the bed by our legs, sometimes she'd cuddle into Harry and I; mostly Harry though.

Harry says he doesn't like the idea of a cat sleeping in the same bed as him, but I know secretly, deep down, he loves having Willow close.

"I am begging you, Liz, put the cat down and have some breakfast," Harry's thick voice comes from inside the kitchen. I push myself onto my elbows, watching as he walks out into the backyard, sliding the glass door behind him.

I smile at him, watching him walk closer to us, but that smile suddenly turns into a small frown when Willow jumps out of my hold and runs towards Harry. She stops by his feet, excitedly looking at him as she makes circles by his legs. He kneels to the ground, picking up Willow with one arm. She relaxes into his hold, resting her head on his chest.