Chapter 21

Songs for this chapter :
Should've known better by Sufjan Stevens.
The Louvre by Lorde
Pink + White by Frank Ocean

LIZ P.O.V

I wish I could say I had a good night's sleep, and I wish I could say my morning went better; but both of those sentences would be a lie. I was awoken at 7am sharp, my phone that laid on the nightstand next to my bed wouldn't stop ringing no matter how hard I tried to ignore it and go back to sleep.

At one point I had to get up whether I liked it or not, my hands reaching out to grab my phone the second my eyes opened.

10 missed calls from Lexi, 5 from an unknown number.

Before my fingers can even press on Lexi's number a loud knock on the door interrupts me, making my fingers freeze over her contact number. I walk towards the door, my body aching in exhaustion with each step my feet take.

When my hands reach for the cold handle, swinging the door open, a very apprehensive Lexi walks in. "God, why do you even have a phone if you're not gonna answer?"

"It's 7am," I took a good look at her. Apprehension and stress clear on her red and puffy eyes, her hair a slight mess like she just rolled out of bed- still in her pajamas standing in front of me barefoot.

"Have you looked at twitter or any news channel?" She asks, not even waiting for me to respond before she steals my phone from the night stand swiping left and right on the bright screen looking for a specific app,

"I just woke up," I answered her, trying to swallow down the overwhelming yawn that was in the back of my throat. "Thanks to you."

"Your face is all over twitter right now, like all over." She murmurs overwhelmingly, handing me my phone back. When I look at the screen a blurry picture of Harry and I overflows my feed. I scroll through the hashtag she's searched, twenty of the same pictures burning through my eyes all with a different comment or opinion attached to them.

"This is bad, right?" She looked at me, the overwhelming anxiety on her face was clear, it showed through her body language too. The way she played with her nails, biting her lips and even going as far as peeling the skin off of her nails.

The happy and cheerful Lexi that wouldn't stop making inappropriate jokes yesterday was replaced by a stressed out one, tears forming in her eyes.

I stare at her for a few seconds, thinking of a way to calm her down. I can't even remember the last time she was like, might be back at the apartment when we received the box... of Candice; but even then she looked less stressed, but that might be because shock was the only thing both of us were able to feel that night.

I shake my head in response but she doesn't calm down until I finally speak, "They're blurry pictures Lexi, it's fine no one will be able to make out my face." I put my hand on her shoulder to comfort her, pulling her into a hug afterwards.

"I'm scared," she murmurs into my shoulder as I hold onto her tighter.

"We're safe here, I promise they won't find us." I comfort her in the best way I can muster, flashing her a small smile and comforting words that only I was aware were laced with lies.

I couldn't promise something like that, yet I did. If we managed to run away to La and hide for three years, lay as low as we did and still get caught then there was nothing stopping them from finding us in Paris. Especially now that they had the upper hand with these pictures. I also couldn't guarantee we were completely safe here, but at least we weren't completely alone. I mean, hell, a trained hit man was sleeping in the room just next to me. If there was any moment where we were actually some what safe in these past three years it would be here.