Chapter 04

LIZ'S P.O.V
-

Time was quite a funny concept sometimes, it was truly astonishing how one's life could turn upside down in such a short amount of time. How before even the time strikes 12 and a new day starts so many things could happen in just a matter of hours.

There was a saying I've heard over a million times, one  that promises time heals, somehow for me it feels like time burns my scars open, turning them into bloody wounds again.

The hot cup of coffee was burning my right hand as I was gripping it tightly. I was standing still, my back pressed against the mirror, anxiously waiting for the elevator to reach the first floor.

When it finally does, the metal doors open up, and I make my way out of it as soon as possible, making my way onto the lobby and the main exit.

My head was spinning, both from apprehension and lack of sleep. I couldn't focus on work at all, all I did was fidget like crazy and dwell in the past until it drove me completely insane. My article on 'the rise of murders in Los Angeles' that's due in a few weeks was left unfinished for today. Not only could I not focus, but the fact that I had to write about murders brought me back to Harry's bloody face yesterday, and the man he probably beat up to death.

All of it was making me insane, so I left early.

My hand freezes on the door, holding it wide open as I stare at the man in front of me with wide eyes. The current root of my problems, the reason why I couldn't sleep, eat, or work was standing right infront of me leaned over his vintage car.

"Let's go for a ride", his tone is calm, opening the passenger door of his red vintage car.

I stare at him with a clenched jaw, and narrowed eyes, my head shaking in response, "I'm not going anywhere with you." My tone lacks emotion, last time I got in the car with him I was sure I was gonna die, with the people following us and him shooting out of the passenger seat like crazy was like welcoming death with open hands.

"Get in the car, Elizabeth," his tone now darker, shocking how someone can switch their emotions on and off like that, one second he's calm the next he's a storm of anger.

"Absolutely not," I grip the coffee cup even harder, my knuckles turn white and my palm is probably more red than blood with how much the hot liquid was burning me.

He takes a step closer, I take one back. "Do you like living, Red?" I cringe at the nickname again, the way he says it makes me wanna rip the hair right from my scalp.

"No" the word leave my lips trembling, but I try my best to shove the fear away. I couldn't show him how much he terrified me, that gave him power over me and I can't have that again.

He runs his hand through his hair, taking in a deep sharp breath, clearly frustrated and angry. I wanted answers of what happened at the bar. The mystery of yesterday was killing me slowly but right now the fear I get from him is stronger than my curiosity.

I bite the inside of my cheek, my hand gripping the hot coffee as I let go of the door and start making my way towards the parking lot. I was fast, but he was faster.

He grabs my wrist tightly, making the burning coffee in my hand spill on my skin and his. I hissed at the pain, dropping the half empty cup on the ground in response to the pain, but he stayed quiet as if he felt nothing, "I'm serious, get in the car."

"No," is all I say, trying to let go of his hold on my wrist but it just gets stronger.

He looks at me with narrowed eyes full of anger, his lips parting as he speaks,"You want to know what happened yesterday, don't you?" I watch him for a second, not being able to tell if he's manipulating me or not. Would he tell me everything that easily, or is it just a lie to get me in the car?