Chapter 26

LIZ'S P.O.V
present time

I dreamt of her again last night, it was the first dream I've had of her in a while. It started of sort of sweet but that didn't last long. I walked along with the black featherd bird through the dry desert until my feet burned from the hot sun. She stood there, in a long black dress waiting for me with wide open arms.

She took me in her sweet embrace as I cried into her shoulder, it felt too good to be true because I never knew her touch to be kind. It felt as if I was actually there, like as if when I closed my eyes and my head hit the pillow I managed to fall in that world, like I actually went there. She brushed my hair sweetly and kissed my wet cheek. I wish it lasted longer. Her warm embrace stabbed me until I bled on the sand, until my sobs turned into violent screams, until her sweet smile turned into a vicious laugh.

I woke up in a cold sweat at 3:35 a.m, my body shivered from the Ac blowing the cold air onto my wet skin, I shivered when I remembered how she stabbed me in the back. I shivered when I remember that same woman whose touch I cried for turned into the touch I cried from. I shivered when I remembered that's the same monster I called mom.

I tried to go back to bed afterwards, but I couldn't. I closed my eyes and waited, I turned on my side, my back, my stomach, I waited, I had a cup of tea and I waited, and I just couldn't fall asleep. Her face was the only thing on my mind, everytime I closed my eyes it was like I was back in her hands before the blood dripped from my lifeless body.

The clock strikes 5 a.m on my bright screen, the laptop warming up my lap as it's been open since 4 a.m. I look away from the laptop on my lap and at the window. I was in awe of the view around me, the horizon where the sun was rising above was a slight shade of yellow hidden away by the cotton pink sky.

Seconds later my gaze turns onto the laptop infront of me, the large W burning through my eyes like fire. I turned in my article just a few hours ago, right before I managed to get the little amount of sleep I did. I never figured out who did the killings, It wasn't my job in the first place, but something about it bothered me so much to the point where I was going insane. My article was sent, and in just a matter of days it's going to be published for everyone to see, the thought of it was frightening, it made me feel uneasy.

The article might be done, but my ambition to figure it all out was growing more and more everyday. That stupid single letter engraved on their skin was making me lose my mind, I just couldn't figure out what it stood for. The red marks on their wrists from the possibility that they were chained up made me sick, but it also made me burn with countless questions. Why would someone need to chain up a bunch of kids, keep them locked away for weeks only to kill them?

I slam the laptop shut, one more glance at that single letter and I might just about go actually insane. I get up from the bed I was laying in, my feet take me to the bathroom where I wash my face and brush teeth quickly before I change into some appropriate clothes.

It was our second day in Rome, I spent the whole day in bed yesterday after we arrived at around 11 a.m. The hotel we were staying at was just as lavish as the one in Paris, if not even more. The old architecture made it look divinely inspired, I don't think words could describe, and the view of the beautiful city out of my window was just extraordinary.

Yesterday I managed to catch some sleep after we checked in, the rest of the day I spent walking around the city with Naomi and Lexi. By the time we got back to the hotel we were all dead tired, but yet I couldn't find it in my self to catch some rest as the article had been burning through my mind.

What we were doing today was still unknown to me, but I know that Lexi definitely has some stuff planned out in her mind. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be as fun as yesterday was, despite the amount of anxiety I was drowning in I managed to have fun with Naomi and Lexi. Naomi, whom I also learned was here to support Liam and not a part of the tour crew like I thought, Lexi thought it was super sweet she dropped everything to support her boyfriend on his tour.