Untruth

A/N: Sorry for the wait. I've been taking some meds and had to adjust to them before getting back to writing. Here's a 4300-word story as an apology.

*****

Lisa's fiery temper was on full display as she loudly exclaimed, "You've gotta be kidding me! My request is simple! I'm done doing that scheme and it's final!"

The director tried to remain calm and composed as he reminded Lisa of the deal she had signed, "We had a deal, Lis. You signed it, remember?"

But Lisa was in no mood to listen. She stood her ground and replied defiantly, "The contract says that I can end this stupid media play at any time, remember?"

The director tried to reason with her, "We really can't do anything until this world tour is over, please give us some time—" But Lisa was having none of it.

"Bullshit!" she shouted, her voice echoing through the room. Her frustration was palpable, her anger simmering just beneath the surface. "I did what you wanted me to do and now I'm telling you I'm done! I quit!" The weight of her words hung heavy in the air, leaving an uncomfortable silence in their wake. Lisa's emotions were raw, and she could barely contain her fury as she nearly stormed out of the room.

"Why did you act like this out of sudden?" The director's question caught Lisa off guard, halting her in her tracks. She turned to face him, her eyes flashing with defiance.

"You said you wanted to protect Jennie, right?" he asked, his voice calm and steady. The question hung in the air, demanding an answer.

Lisa's anger momentarily subsided, replaced by a flicker of confusion. Her mind raced as she replayed her actions and motivations. In her rage, she had lost sight of her initial goal – to protect Jennie, the vulnerable Blackpink member caught in a web of despise. The director's words were a jarring reminder of her larger purpose, a call to reassess her decision. Was quitting now truly in Jennie's best interest?

It took a while, but Lisa eventually broke her silence, voicing her thoughts on the matter. "I did sign for this because I wanted Jennie safe, indeed. But isn't it your job to ensure the safety of your idols? Where were you when Jennie was the target of haters because of her role in that series? Don't say that you guys did the best you could because what I saw at that time was very different from what you said. Now I wonder, perhaps the document you showed me was merely a deception to manipulate me into fulfilling your own desires."

"The document is valid, we never made it up," the director replied calmly. "And as for Jennie, she agreed to the role personally. We had nothing to do with her decision."

Lisa's temper was flaring. "So, you're saying that you won't take any responsibility for Jennie's safety as long as she chooses a job that isn't under your umbrella?" she spat out, her voice laced with anger.

The director's response was infuriating. "Jennie took the role under the name Jennie Ruby Jane, not as Jennie from Blackpink," he said, as if that was supposed to justify everything.

Lisa couldn't believe it. "You never cease to amaze me with your lack of concern for your artists," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

But the director wasn't finished yet. "We have a deal, Lisa," he said sternly. "And we hope that you make your decisions carefully."

Lisa wasn't going to back down. "Or what?" she challenged. "Are you going to threaten me? Are you going to show Jennie the contents of that file?"

Lisa took a wild guess and blurted it out. She never imagined that her random shot in the dark would make her director's face change so much. Her boss had plenty of flaws, but lying wasn't one of them.