Chapter thirteen

Should I stay?

Should I go?

He reached the top of the hill and breathed in the air. It smelt like the sea; it was comforting. He glanced at Peleus that was wrapped around the trunk of Thalia's tree. He seemed to be sleeping, but Percy wouldn't know for sure. He glanced over the camp he once loved so dearly. Flashes of the latest war flashed through his mind; his eyes were filled with pain as he strolled down the hill.

The first camper to spot him, stopped in her tracks and stared for a few seconds before greeting him with a smile and a wave. He gave her a small smile back and continued to walk heading for the Big House.

It was clear that there had come a new layer of paint on the house as it shone in the sun in a bright blue color. It warmed his heart in a weird way. He climbed the few steps up on the porch and walked around the house to find Mr. D and Chiron sitting at the small table - Chiron in his wheelchair - playing pinochle. One of Percy's least favorite games due to Gabe. He pushed the thought aside and walked up to them.

"What." Mr. D grumbled and didn't look up from his cards.

"What can we do for you, my child?" Chiron said and looked up with his soft brown eyes. The old centaur froze as he looked at the hero. "Percy?" He frowned. "What are you doing here?" He tilted his head.

The hero swallowed and shrugged, not able to form any words, too afraid that he'd break down again.

The centaur stood up from the wheelchair, his behind spread out due to the magic. Percy looked up at his mentor who was looking at him with care.

"How are you, my boy?" Chiron smiled and walked over to him. Tears welled up in Percy's eyes and he hugged Chiron tightly. The centaur looked down at him and smiled sadly. He comforted the hero as Mr. D sat and watched.

"I've missed you." Percy mumbled and drew back from the centaur who only smiled.

"Understandable. How long do you expect to stay?" He tilted his head as they made their way down from the porch.

"An hour or two." He answered truthfully.

"Okay. Well, I think Will would like to run you over," the centaur commented. "Especially with those bandages, they look like they could be changed." Chiron noted.

Percy smiled sheepishly. "Yeah..."

Together they headed over to the infirmary where they found Nico hanging out - ahem making out - with Will on one of the beds. They looked cute, Percy thought, but instead of it bringing joy to him it only brought sadness as he missed his Wise girl. He looked down at the floor, averting his eyes from the scene.

Chiron cleared his throat, with amusement clear in his eyes. The two demigods sprang away from each other, Will falling off the bed and Nico on the opposite side of the bed. Percy glanced at them, Will looked awkward and Nico's cheeks were rapidly growing more and more red.

"Uhm... Sorry," the son of Apollo cleared his throat. "What can I do for you, Chiron?"

"Percy here stopped by to say hi, and I thought you might want to check him over?"

"Oh, yeah sure." He smiled. "Hi, Percy." He greeted the old demigod.

"Wassup?" Nico nodded.

"Not much." Percy shrugged and walked over to them.

"I will leave you then, before you leave, please come find me, Percy." His mentor smiled.

"Okay." And with that, the elder centaur left the infirmary.