Chapter nine

The only thought in my head, is the thought of being stuck

I'll never be free, I keep running out of luck

Percy woke up the next day with his head in a chest and an arm around him. He blinked tiredly and followed the arm to see who it belonged to. Tony was lying next to him, hugging him in his sleep. Percy looked over his own shoulder, with some struggle, and saw that it was 6 am in the morning. Percy slowly lifted Tony's arm, and made sure he didn't wake up the billionaire, then he sneaked out of the bed.

The demigod opened his drawer, Tony had filled with new clothes and found a long-sleeved shirt and a pair of pants. He got himself dressed and exited his room.

When he walked out in the kitchen, he found Steve who was in the middle of making breakfast.

"Good morning, kiddo. You're up early." The super soldier greeted Perseus with a smile.

Percy nodded. "I couldn't sleep anymore." Percy said, his voice slightly raspy. Steve stared at him for a second before smiling and nodding. The demigod realized Steve hadn't really heard him talk yet.

Percy walked over to the fridge and opened it. He found a small box with blueberries and picked them up.

"How about I make you some breakfast?" Steve asked and found eggs and bacon.

The young hero shook his head, "No... I'll just eat these." He held up the blueberries, picked one and ate it.

"Hm," the soldier huffed. "Do you want to go for a run after?" Steve put the eggs and bacon back in the fridge and ate the sandwich he had made earlier.

"No thank you. I can't," Percy quickly answered and cleared his throat.

"Okay," Steve nodded and left the room, telling the kid he was going anyway. Percy was left to himself. That was the not so good part. Now he had time to think. And that usually ended up in him having a flashback or starting to cry or hurt himself. Because he'd remember the Seven... his mom and Paul... Annabeth... Who was now gone.

He shook his head. No. He told himself. Don't think about them.

***

Percy was pretty sure Tony almost died when he walked into the kitchen. Tony had walked into the kitchen, missing that Percy was sitting at the kitchen island on a barstool. The billionaire opened the fridge and grabbed a sandwich Steve had made and opened it. He took a bite of it and turned around. He shrieked and jumped, pressing a hand against his chest, and closing his eyes.

"My God! You scared me kiddo!" Tony exclaimed loudly with food in his mouth. Percy gave a small wave. The kid picked up a blueberry from the tray and ate it. "Did you sleep okay?" Percy glanced at him. "What... what was your nightmare about?" Tony asked.

He winced, but Tony either didn't notice it or he acted like he didn't notice it. After a few minutes, Tony gave up, realizing Percy wasn't going to answer him.

"Morning," Bruce walked into the kitchen, patted Tony on the shoulder and started to make some coffee. Bruce sat down next to Percy when the coffee was done and sipped from the hot liquid.

Percy picked another blueberry and ate it. They were good.

"Ahem," Tony coughed very normally, totally not fake. Percy ate another blueberry, Bruce looked up from his newspaper. "So... Bruce, did you want to tell Perseus something?" Tony asked, Percy glanced at Bruce who was frowning. "From the tests in the lab yesterday?" He elaborated. That's when Bruce started nodding quickly and turned towards Percy, who was eating another blueberry, watching the two men closely.

"Yes, so Perseus." Bruce started. "The tests yesterday, showed that you have ADHD and dyslexia, which is nothing new to you." Percy nodded vaguely. "But it also showed that you suffer from PTSD." Bruce dropped the bomb. Or what they thought was the bomb because Percy had already heard it, and even before he had suspected he might suffer from it. So, he kept his face straight.

Percy nodded like it was no biggie.

"Just that?" Tony asked. "No crazy respond to it?" Percy shrugged. How did they want him to react?

"You don't exactly seem surprised." Bruce stated. Percy once again, just shrugged.

"Kind of figured after what I've been through..." He spoke slowly. "And I heard you say it yesterday." Percy mumbled.

"Oh..." Bruce looked embarrassed.

"What have you been through?" Tony asked curiously and leaned a little over the table with folded hands.

"Hell."

"What do you mean?" Tony looked into the broken boy's sea green eyes. 

"What I said." He didn't say anything else, because with that he walked away. Behind him he heard Tony ask Bruce what he had meant. He could only guess that Bruce was as confused as Tony was.