Not Safe

"Remus." A voice woke him, he thought it was Sirius at first. "Remus." Someone squeezed his hand. Reggie.

"Reg?" He blinked his eyes open. But before he looked to him, his eyes went to Izzie.

"She's still asleep." He said quietly. The sun was just starting to rise, making the hospital wing bade in a golden light. "How is she?"

Remus turned to his boyfriend. Regulus looked so young right now, so fragile. "Pomfrey did everything she could. But with the Crucio... we'll have to wait and see."

Regulus nodded, his eyes brimmed with tears. "Remus, she's been -"

"I know." He cupped his cheeks. "I know." They leaned their heads against each other, breathing heavily. Remus bumped his nose slightly against his before his lips found its purpose. It was a sweet, tired, careful kiss. "Thank you."

Regulus pulled back a little to look at him frowning.

"For bringing her here, for keeping her safe."

"I - I was too late, Remus." His voice shook.

"You. Saved. Her." Remus made sure he articulated every word carefully, so it would reach him. "You saved her." He whispered and kissed him again, more passionate than the last one. Then the door of the hospital wing creaked open. Remus and Regulus jumped apart, and Remus let his bed fly back to its original place. Before settling himself on the chair next to Izzie's bed.

Madam Pomfrey came bustling out of her office, enraged. "Headmaster Dumbledore, I know you want to know what happened but it's barely seven o'clock. The kids need their rest!" She whispered furiously.

"I'm sorry, Poppy. But we have to talk to them."

"Miss Miller isn't awake yet. Mr Black should be any minute now. And what are you all doing here so early?"

"I found these youngsters waiting in the hallway, I thought I would bring them in."

They heard the healer huff her dismay before the curtains were drawn open. Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall stood in the front. Then three heads appeared next to them, Sirius, Lily and James. They all looked like they barely slept. Madam Pomfrey eyed Remus with a raised eyebrow. She probably saw him last night, sleeping between them, holding hands, but bless her, she didn't say anything. She quickly hurried over to Regulus bed when she saw he was up. Sirius was watching Izzie, who hasn't moved an inch since she arrived when he saw the blur of Pomfrey's white robes pass him. He walked over to his brother but stood at the end of the bed as Pomfrey checked on him. Everyone was silent as the healer did her work.

"Everything seems in order. How do you feel?" She asked once she was done checking on him.

"Fine, how's Isabelle?" He asked instead.

"A waiting game, I'm afraid." The healer said honestly, sadness tinged her voice.

"Any changes, Poppy?" Dumbledore asked. And Pomfrey shot him a look that said If there were you would have been informed by now! But she gently shook her head. Lily and James took a seat on Remus's bed. While Sirius sat down next to his brother, leaving enough space so they weren't touching.

"Alright." Dumbledore started, summoning three chairs for him, McGonagall and Pomfrey to sit in. "Younger mister Black, can you inform us what happened."

"My parents and I were invited to an easter celebration at the Miller Mansion. We've gone there before, but I didn't expect Isabelle to be there, she's never been... She was mostly at Lupin's during break."

"Her father came to get her four days ago." Remus said, meeting his eyes. He nodded before he continued his story.

"She was already pretty beaten up when I saw her. Although her father tried to hide it, but he and his brother were always shit at charms."