first day of nationals (pt2)

BODHI: You should've learnt by now I don't need your help.
*Bodhi walks away and goes under the pop-up tent*
☆彡
COMMENTATOR: Dying seconds of this heat, Radic has priority. Nice. Really great composure under pressure.
POPPY: Come on, Wren.
COMMENTATOR: And sticks the landing!
JADE: I guess this is why we kind of need her.
*I say walking up to Summer and Poppy*
SUMMER: This is why we put up with her.
COMMENTATOR: That's a 7.5 For Radic, which means Queensland are out. And Victoria are through to the final of the Woman's Pairs.
*Everyone cheers and applauses and Tuscany walks out of the water and Wren runs to catch up with her*
WREN: Hey. No hard feelings.
*Wren pats her shoulder and runs away*
COMMENTATOR: Girls' Pairs heat two, this is your five-minute warning. All surfers should be in the water...
*Bax walks out of the changing rooms and Elo walks over to him*
ELO: Hey. You get a result out there today and all is forgiven.
BAX: Right.
*Bax smiles and nods at Elo*
ELO: Good luck.
JADE: Wow. Inspiring.
BAX: She knows I respond well to guilt trips. And American blondies
*He sits down next to me and I smile at him*
BAX: Did you at least bring my board?
JADE: I'll answer that if you promise you didn't mess with the blank.
*He laughs*
BAX: No of course not, I didn't even want to do that.
JADE: Okay, then, yes I did bring it.
*He smiles and grabs my chin and kisses me*
BAX: Gotta go, cya.
JADE: Bye.
COMMENTATOR: We've seen some intense battles so far, and things are not letting up in the Boys' Pairs. After a 6.2 from his partner, Griff Temple, Baxter Radic paddles out to join the line-up against his interstate rivals.
JADE: You got this Bax!
MARLON: You got this man!
WREN: Come on, Bax.
COMMENTATOR: Oh! But he's flunked the landing!
WREN: He's all over the place. You can't rely on him ever.
COMMENTATOR: Bax Radic caught in the whitewash there. He's gonna be copping a set on the head and a little paddle back out.
CROWD: Let's go, Baxter!
COMMENTATOR: Look at this. Bax Radic
5 has pulled into the wave of the day here. But will he make it out? Victoria's hopes are riding on it. Aw!
CROWD: Ooh!
ELO: Shit!
*The sirens blares*
COMMENTATOR: And the Victorians crash out of the Boys' Pairs.
POPPY: Wren, it's up to you now!
*I jog over to where Bax is coming out of the water and he's clearly upset*
JADE: Hey, it's okay.
BAX: No it's not, I totally flunked.
JADE: We all do it, okay? It's ok.
*I kiss him and we make our way back to the pop-up tent and Wren runs under the pop- up tent and Ari follows*
ARI: Go easy on Bax when he comes in with Jade, yeah? We're all doing our best.
WREN: Seriously? You're picking right before my final to make me feel like a terrible person?
ARI: No, it's just you're Team Captain, so we need you...
WREN: Why can I not find my wax?!
ARI: Sorry, sorry. Here. Use mine.
WREN: But they're are sponsors, Ari, and there are photographers everywhere! The only wax I have is at the motel.
ARI: Okay. I'll go grab 'em, you stay here.
WREN: Yes, go grab them!
GRIFF: Trouble in paradise, mate?
ARI: Not now, Griff.
GRIFF: Sweet.
*Him and Ahmed start laughing*

WITH ARI AT THE MOTEL
*He digs through Wrens bag to find the wax and Marlon walks past the girls room and sees Ari so he walks in*
MARLON: Um... Why are you in the girls' room? And why are you being a creep?
ARI: I'm looking for Wren's...
*Ari continues digging until he pulls something out*
ARI: ...wax. What are you doing here?
MARLON: Hiding from Poppy, so I don't start a fight.
*He says as he sits next to Ari on the bed and helps him fold and put Wren's clothes back in her bag*
MARLON: She got really loose at Wren's party and called me "just a sub".
ARI: Bro, sorry.
MARLON: She's still gotta surf her final. Right? And it's Nationals. Guess I just gotta suck it up.
ARI: I think I said "I love you" to the wrong person.
MARLON: Why did you?
ARI: Her parents didn't even come home for her birthday. Plus she said it to me first. I didn't want to hurt her like that. But it's Nationals. Gotta suck it up.
MARLON: Gotta suck it up.
*They continue to fold her clothes and stay silent for a little*
ARI: This is actually quite soothing.
MARLON: I was about to say that.
*Marlon chuckles*

WITH POPPY
*She is listening to her music while taking off her jacket*
ELO: Girls. Hey!
*Poppy takes off her headphones and puts them around her neck and looks at Elo*
ELO: Listen. I'm switching it up for the Girls' Final. Poppy, you're out. Bodhi, you're up.
BODHI: Seriously? Poppy surfed great.
ELO: If we want to win, we play smart. New South Whales is fielding the same team as last year. They know all of Poppy's tricks. You're still an unknown.
*Elo makes her way out of the changing room and grabs Wren's arm*
ELO: Come on, let's go.
*Wren follows but smiles at Poppy and Poppy takes her headphones fully off and sits next to Bodhi*
BODHI: Well, this sucks.
*Bodhi stands up and starts doing something*
POPPY: No, it doesn't. This is karma.
BODHI: For what?
POPPY: Doesn't matter.
BODHI: What's going on with you, Pops? I feel like we never talk anymore.
*Poppy doesn't say anything*
BODHI: If it's about what I said at the camp, I'm sorry. Okay? It was awful.
*Bodhi takes off her jacket*
POPPY: No, but you're right. I was being a jerk. And it just felt like I was losing you to Wren.
*Bodhi sits back down next to her*
BODHI: Pops. We learnt to surf on the same board. You don't lose me. Ever.
POPPY: So, maybe throwing the rock at Wren's face was a little bit of an overreaction.
*Poppy slightly slaps her arm*
BODHI: That was you?!
POPPY: Ow!
*Poppy slaps her hand back and Bodhi laughs*
BODHI: What? Summer covered for you and Jade?
POPPY: She couldn't take no for an answer. She's a better friend than you think.
*Elo claps her hands and walks into the changing room again*
ELO: Bodhi! Hey! Why isn't your wettie on? Do you want this or not? Come on!
POPPY: Alright, you got this.
☆彡
word count: 1116