first day of nationals

ANOTHER IDK: Yeah...
*Ari walks over to Wren*
ARI: Hey. Um... Did you... ? Did you end up telling people about us last night?
☆彡
WREN: Well, I didn't put it on my story.
*She laughs*
WREN: I just told Bodhi. First time's kind of a big deal
ARI: Yeah. It's just some of the boys overheard.
*Tommy and Griff giggle*
ARI: So awkward.
WREN: Are you embarrassed or something?
ARI: No! No, course not. No.
WREN: They're just jealous.
*Wren smiles at him and Ari slightly laughs and Wren puts her head against his*
WREN: Power couple, remember?
ARI: Mmm.
*They kiss each other and then Wren leaves*
TIME JUMP, AT THE BEACH
*A man says something in Bundjalung*
MAN: Welcome, everybody. All you good men. All you good woman. Or to simply say, welcome to the heart of my people. This jagun, this Bundjalung country. Welcome youse here today. Take care out there hunting those waves.
*Everyone cheers and claps*
MAN: Competitors from every state, I know how hard you've worked to get here and how much you've sacrificed. But when the pressure's on, just remember, we are here because we love it. This is the moment you've all been training and building towards.
*Bodhi and Wren hug and Poppy looks over*
MAN: And I know you'll support your teammates all the way. So get out there, have a cracking Nationals, and rip it up!
*All of our backs are turned and we don't notice Summer walking up to us*
SUMMER: You heard her, Team Vic, rip it!
*We all look back and I run and hug Summer*
JADE: I'm so happy you're here!
MARLON: Yeah, Summer! What?
AHMED: You made it!
WREN: Oh, you're here. Wow, I don't believe it.
SUMMER: Better believe it, baby! Got to make sure there's no emergency and you need me. Plus I wouldn't miss my sister surf for the world.
*I smile at her and hug her again*
ARI: What about New York?
SUMMER: This is the biggest comp of the year, Ari. As if If miss my sister have her moment, and maybe mine too.
ELO: Alright, guys, we've got a comp to win! No more distractions.
IDK WHO SAID THIS: Let's go!
*Me and Poppy walk up to Summer*
POPPY: We're so sorry about the other night. We just ran off.
SUMMER: It's all good guys. Don't worry.
*We all laugh and then hug*
SUMMER: I love you, guys.
POPPY: I'm so glad you came back.
JADE: Same, I mean I don't know what I would've done without you.
SUMMER: Ready?
COMMENTATOR: It's a beautiful day here in the Northern Rivers, folks,
*We go under the pop-up tent where everyone else is*
COMMENTATOR: and we're just moments away from the Under 18's Pairs event.
OTHER COMMENTATOR: Yeah, these are must-win heats. So, by the end of today the successful teams will surf it out in the Pairs Final.
*Elo walks over with a bunch of lanyards to us who are sitting at a table and she starts passing them out*
ELO: Okay. So, for the Boys' Pairs, we've got Bax and Griff. For the Girls'... I'm going with Wren and Poppy.
JADE: Wait- but at training camp you paired me with Wren.
ELO: Remember what I said about trust? You proved that you and Summer are trouble-makers.
*I roll my eyes*
BAX: Yeah, but it wasn't her who did that to the window. Isn't that what matters?
WREN: I'm happy to surf with Poppy.
*I roll my eyes*
POPPY: But Jade has a better backhand, she deserves a go.
ELO: Guys, trust me. I've won a few of these before, remember?
JADE: It's fine. I'll surf tomorrow.
ANNOUNCER: Girls' Under 18' this is your 25-minute warning.
*Poppy whispers to me*
POPPY: Sorry.
*I smile at her and she stands up and goes to get changed*
SUMMER: Let's go, Vicco! Oi, Oi, Oi!
*Everyone claps and applauses*
SUMMER: Whoo!
*Summer sits next to me and whispers*
SUMMER: Sorry, Elo's a bitch.
JADE: It's fine- at least I can spend time with you.
*I smile at Summer and she smiles back*
COMMENTATOR: Our first Pairs surfers are in the water and we are frothing. In just a few seconds that siren is gonna kick off two days of incredible juniors surfing.
*New South Whales starts chanting their team name and then Queenslander and Wren looks over at the Queensland team at Tuscany and looks away. Then the siren blares and everyone in the water starts paddling*
COMMENTATOR: And we're off! Poppy Tetanui bursting out of the gates. She really wants that first wave. But Rosie Reed from Queensland takes the inside and beats her to it!
*Everyone starts cheering*
COMMENTATOR: Huge signature carve! That'll put points on the board!
OTHER COMMENTATOR: The second Queensland surfer, Tuscany Bray, already making her way to the tagline.
*Summer is by where Tuscany is about to go*
SUMMER: Let's go, Pops! Get 'em, best friend!
*Summer looks over at Tuscany*
SUMMER: Oh, look. It's the love bomber.
TUSCANY: Excuse me?
SUMMER: Tuscany, right? You chased my girl Bodhi and then told her you were taken. Who does that?
*Wren runs up behind Summer to the tagline and waits*
COMMENTATOR: Victorian captain Wren Radic making her way to the tagline. Oh, she needs her partner Tetanui to put a score on the board. But conditions have been really challenging out there.
BODHI: Let's go, Pops!
ARI: Come on, Poppy!
JADE: You can do this, Pops!
ARI: Bodes, look. Summer's psyching Tuscany out.
TUSCANY: It wasn't like that.
SUMMER: Sure it was. I just don't think you're used to being called out.
*A girl runs up and tags Tuscany's hand but she's still looking at Summer*
GIRL: Go, Skip!
WREN: Uh... I think that means you're up.
*Tuscany runs into the water*
COMMENTATOR: Not much time left in this heat. Tetanui better hustle if she wants to leave her partner any time to get a score. She's up again, desperately needs a score here.
BODHI: Let's go, Pops!
ARI: Yew!
COMMENTATOR: Oh, nice carve there. Great technique. Oh, yeah, that's a solid execution from Tetanui as well.
*Poppy comes running and tags Wrens hand*
POPPY: Go the lefts!
WREN: Yeah, I know this break.
SUMMER: Ah, you ripped, Pops!
POPPY: Jade could've done better if Elo let her surf.
COMMENTATOR: Former team mates, now rivals in the water, Tuscany Bray and Wren Radic go head to head!
OTHER COMMENTATOR: The Queenslander, first to pull the trigger, setting up for the turn.
CROWD: Aw!
COMMENTATOR: Bad luck for Bray. She's gonna be hurting after that ride.
*Summer walks next to Bodhi and Bodhi doesn't look at her but starts talking*
BODHI: What did you say to Tuscany?
SUMMER: I just stuck up for my friend.
BODHI: You should've learnt by now I don't need your help.
*Bodhi walks away and goes under the pop-up tent*
☆彡
word count: 1166