Chapter 1

Bellamy looked at Clarke with concern in his eyes. "What do you mean, Clarke? What do you mean, you are no coming back with me?"

"I can't go back there, not after what I did to them, to their friends. I killed them all, Bellamy."

Clarke looked up at Bellamy, tears threatening to spill from her eyes, willing him to understand.

"But Clarke... They need you. I need you!"

"No, Bellamy. It's over, they don't need me anymore, they need you. Please just be there for them. And tell my mom I'm sorry."

Bellamy looked down at Clarke for a few long seconds, his eyes unreadable. Eventually, his jaw sets in resignation and he says, "Okay, I will take care of our people. Please know that you will always be welcomed with open arms once you are ready to return."

He then opens his arms and wraps her up in a hug. "Please be careful out there, Clarke. And stay safe. I will hunt you down if I find out anything has happened to you."

Clarke lets out a soft, watery laugh before pulling away from Bellamy and turning away from him and Arkadia. She disappears into the trees behind her, with just the clothes on her back and the knife strapped to her belt. Once turned, she refused to look back, because if she did, if she looked back, she wasn't entirely sure she'd be strong enough to leave.

--

Clarke had been walking for what must have been several hours by now. She did not have a destination in mind, she was just roaming around aimlessly. All she knew was that she had to get as far away from Arkadia and Mount Weather as humanly possible.

She had been lost in thought, thinking of all the people she had killed in cold blood. She saw their faces flash in front of her eyes like a film. There were so many of them and she could not stop thinking about them all. She would never be able to stop thinking about them all and she did not believe she deserved to.

A low, grumbling sound is what pulled Clarke out of her thoughts for the first time since she started walking. Clarke stopped right in her tracks, crouching down behind a tree, tilting her head sideways in hopes of hearing the sound again and figuring out where it was coming from.

Then, she hears the grumbling sound once more. Clarke almost laughs out loud when she realizes she had been so caught up in her own thoughts, she had mistaken the sound of her stomach grumbling for the sound a wild animal might have made.

Clarke gets up from her crouched position and looks around at the forest surrounding her for the first time that day. "I should really start considering finding some food and shelter for the night", she mumbles to herself. The sound sounding strange in her own ears after the long hours of silence.

Looking around, Clarke finds a few berry bushes. She grabs handfuls of the red berries and shoves them in her mouth, not caring about making a mess. Not like anyone was there to see her anyway.

After the worst of her hunger is stilled, she looks up again and sees a curious rabbit sitting on its hind legs, staring at her. Mouth watering, Clarke slowly pulls the knife from her belt, inching closer to the small animal, trying not to startle it. Surprisingly, the rabbit allows her to get within a few feet from it. Once Clarke thinks she is close enough to get the rabbit, she leaps towards the animal, but the fluffy ball of fur just hops away from her, wiggling its tail as if to mock her.

Clarke gets up from the ground, shaking her head at her own foolishness. She wipes the dirt off her clothes while thinking to herself, "I will figure out a way to get more food tomorrow, those berries will hold me over for now, I better find a place to rest before it gets dark."