Chapter 15: The Conquering Hero's Reward

Back Alley, Outside Cukoo's Bar, and Grill, Flashpoint, New Jersey...

     Charley sighed as he headed back out toward his truck taking a look at the still visibly shaken blond pale lad who had been attacked in the back alley. He had made a good amount of money from the odd job but the big boss had informed him that he didn't need any further assistance. He sighed and slicked back his unkempt brown locks before heading toward the driver's side of his truck and hopping inside. He slammed the door a bit startling the seemingly jumpy lad known as Nolan before reaching into the pocket of his jeans and pulling out his keys. He spent a pretty penny on the rather average-looking silver truck with a wide bed in the back, it had been filled with camping supplies and tools from what Nolan had made of it. Charley started the truck after putting on his seat belt and ensuring that Nolan had done the same.

The kid seemed to take it as a joke at first but realized Charley wasn't going to move the truck until he had complied. The truck jerked and the engine roared once he'd turned the key and they were on their way. The drive had been a relatively quiet one aside from Nolan pointing out the directions to his place. Charley focused on the road and getting the lad home safely and before they knew it, he'd pulled up in front of a rather elegantly built and pricey building. Charley marveled at the stone finish and black steel trimming as he helped Nolan out of the truck and toward the massive entrance door.

Nolan had insisted Charley come to his apartment with him and Charley had agreed, if only to put both their minds at ease given all that happened in the alley.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nolan Pierce's Apartment, The Wellman Complex, West And Kelling Street, Flashpoint, New Jersey...

The large black heavy door opened and Charley found himself noting the young lad's rather impressively decorated luxury apartment. He had figured the kid's family made a good deal of money to afford a place like this but he'd been proven wrong when Nolan informed him that he'd been the only one that stayed in the lavish two-bedroom place. Slowly, Charley stepped inside once Nolan had invited him in and closed the door behind him. He seemed to be alright getting into routine as he began discarding his shoes and overshirt, as he moved along the fancy living room and black leather furniture.

"I didn't have time to make any dinner." said Nolan rather politely "But I have some cold beer in the fridge, help yourself it's the least I can do after what you did for me."

"You sure?" asked Charley standing in the center of the living room amid the polished white marble floor.

"Make yourself at home." insisted Nolan as he continued to undress in the back.

Charley simply did as he suggested searching for an ice-cold beer in the most interesting kitchen he'd ever seen aside from Miss Edna's but it was clear that Nolan hadn't used it much aside from the many bowls of cereal stacked in the sink and the boxes that lined his fridge.

Charley sighed and thought at the very least he'd check on the lad before heading back out to spend the night in his truck before searching for another odd job to get him through the week.

He popped the top on a silver and blue can and started chugging a bit down. Despite his first introduction to it, Charley slowly began to think that it was nice to have an ice-cold beer now and again to take the edge off a day like the one they had.

The handsome and rather tall man moved back toward the living room where he plopped down on the sofa, did a bit of channel surfing, and finished off can after can of beer before he knew it while he awaited the lad Nolan to see if he'd been any better after what had happened to him.