43| Mundane Day

Balia's POV

Well, it was none of my business. I felt Trey's presence behind me, and somehow, it was comforting.

Trey cleared his throat, and Senna turned towards us, including the lady. Her laughter died in her throat. She leaned against the column right beside Senna and took a sip from her glass before turning to him.

   "Is she the new maid you were talking about?"

   "No," Senna replied, his eyes still trained on me. "She's not."

   And that was it? He didn't care explaining to this lady that I was the one he had locked up so he could have access to me whenever. That I had overdosed unknowingly on painkillers and have been rushed to the hospital?

   I snapped out of my brief moment of delusion, reminding myself that I didn't care either.

   Turning towards Trey, I ran my hand down his arm and blessed him with a sweet smile. "Thank you really. For bringing the clothes and for driving me home. For the painkiller, too. For something that nearly killed me, yours saved me."

   We shared a laugh, and he tipped an imaginary hat at me before I turned and walked up the stairs that led to my room.

  I banged the door to my room behind me and made sure it was locked twice before going straight to my bed. This was the only comforting thing I had right now. After my devices, that is.

   The first thing I did as soon as I got comfortable in bed was search for how to disconnect a device from being tracked by another. It was pretty easy. I didn't want Senna monitoring my every location, and if my second escape plan worked, then I was the luckiest woman alive.

   A knock sounded on the door. I gave no reply. Tina must have known I didn't want anyone, so she announced that it was just her with food.

   Damn, I was starving, I had to admit. Pushing out of my bed, I walked to the door, opened it, and took the tray from her.

   "Thank you."

   "You okay?" She asked, looking worried. "What exactly happened?"

   "I'm very much okay, Tina," I said with a smile. "I don't think that matters anymore now that I am better. By the way, I am starving and would like to watch a movie while eating. Bye!"

    The door shut, and I hurried back into my room.

   The rest of my day was spent watching movies, sleeping and waking up, battling with headaches, and going in and out of the bathroom. I had been told that shortness of breath was an after-effect, so I didn't let it get to me.

   Just as the second movie I was watching wrapped up, a knock came again. I didn't think. I just climbed out of my bed and went straight to the door.

   Senna stood there with a small box in his hand. I realized my mistake too late because all I wanted to do was shut the door in his face.

   "How are you feeling?"

   "I don't want to talk about it," I replied, meaning it. "And whatever it is you want to give me, I don't need it either. I want to be alone.

   Just before I could shut the door to his face, he planted his feet on the threshold, stopping the door from closing.

   "Don't close the door on me when we are still talking."

   "There's nothing to talk about, Senna. Why don't you go back to your woman friend and continue whatever you both were having?"

   He frowned. "Is that why you're moody?"

   "What? Really?" I asked incredulously. "Moody over some woman I don't care about? Do you think I give a fuck about what you do? You left me at the hospital, knowing fully well that you were at fault for everything that happened!"

   "I didn't ask you to overdose on painkillers."

   "Fuck you!" I screamed as a wave of searing pain shot up my head. I moved away from him, and tears began to slip from my cheeks. Luca had said something similar to me when I had overdosed. He hasn't said it with the best intentions, owing to the fact that he has been the one to give it to me to help with my migraines.

"Just let me be. I don't want to see you or talk to you. You remind me of everything terrible, and I am having a serious headache. So leave, please."

   Senna nodded and looked down at the box he was holding. "Very well, then."

   I shut the door to his face and walked back into the room, ignoring his warnings about shutting the door to his face.

   I climbed back into my bed and went to sleep, and when I woke up again, it was late at night, and someone was knocking at the door.

   "How are you feeling?" Tina asked when I finally opened the door. "You slept for hours."

   I smiled and nodded. "Yes. I feel really better now. And hungry, too," I whispered the last words.

   Tina smiled and nodded. Then, it faded a bit. "Dinner? Master Senna wants you to join him. I know you don't want to. He knows, too, so he asked me not to serve you. You have to join him."

   "Then I'd go to bed hungry."

   "This is the first time he's threatening to fire me since I started working here if I don't get you to come downstairs. I'm not trying to guilt you, but you should. Please. This job is all I have."

   "He's a horrible person if he said that to you," I said and walked back into my room. "Who the hell would do that?"

   "He's not a terrible person, Balia. Life hasn't been fair to him."

"Me neither. But you don't see me going around to frustrate people's lives or threaten them or do something stupid, do you?" Tina said nothing in reply, and I huffed loudly. "You'd support him no matter what."