39. I'll Play Your Game

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. It belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

{Kazan age 5}

Timeline: before Naruto part 1

~~~January 3~~~

(Shikayoru POV)

Kazan and I were sitting at one of the tables in the Akatsuki base playing a game of shogi and to nobody's surprise at all, he was eating dango.

"So I hear you're starting the academy in a couple days."

He hums in response.

"You don't sound too happy about it."

"It's social interaction. What do you expect me to do?

Prance around with a smile on my face?

This is my worst nightmare, Shikayoru."

"Still as antisocial as always I see.

You seem irritated too.

What's bugging ya?"

"Obito.

I'm already Chunin rank so I see no reason to go to the academy, but he's forcing me because according to his opinion I have to do it to fit in and look normal." he answers as he plays his turn.

I think for a while before placing my pawn on C5 forcing him to move his king.

"I can't argue there. He has a good reason.

Between your relationship to Nagato-sama and your constant trips to the Akatsuki base going to school like all the other kids would make you look more normal and less...favoured."

"Favoured how?" he asks.

"Favoured as in the Amekage spoiling you because you're related.

No kid should be able to make daily trips to the Akatsuki's hideout just to use their private training grounds without asking and not get in trouble on top of it all."

I place my rook on E6 taking his knight.

"Tch.

Walked right into that one huh. I knew something bad would come of it."

"Then why keep doing it?" I ask.

"Because the other training grounds are crowded and I hate people." He answered as he placed his gold general in front of my king cornering me.

"Checkmate."

I groan.

"Damn it.

Best out of 15."

"There's no way I'm having another 5 games with you.

I have stuff to do, ttebashi." He says as he stands up to throw the 3 finished dango sticks away and I looked at him with a surprised expression.

"What?" he asks.

"That verbal tick caught me off guard.

You act so much like an Uchiha I tend to forget that you're an Uzumaki." I answered.

He then lets out a monotonous grunt.

"I have good self-control, but it slips out at times."

(Kazan POV)

After I helped Shikayoru pack the board and pieces away I said goodbye and headed back home.

Once again as I walked down the street, I sensed the same gaze on me as I did a few days prior.

But when I looked there wasn't anything there.

This was now the 2nd time that I sensed that ominous gaze but saw no figure following me. And those 2 times were 2 times too many.

I hated eyes on my back so I made the reluctant decision to teleport to the exact spot where I sensed them and use Mangekyou Sharingan to alter the individual's brain function and cut off their use of chakra so whatever invisibility jutsu they were using would ware off.

And to my surprise it was that same strange fox who approached me at Ojiisan's hideout.

The fox's surprised expression when I cancelled out it's jutsu was way too human for me to ignore. Its intelligence was far higher than what a normal fox's should be, in fact it seemed to be on par with that of an adult human.

"What the hell are you?

You're way too human to be a fox and your chakra is abnormal."

Silence.

"I know you understand me. Your facial expression is a dead giveaway."

He didn't respond but his face held enough emotion for me to know what he was thinking and feeling with just a brief glance.

"If you're a threat to me, my comrades, or this village I advise you to leave.

Pissing me off will be your biggest mistake."

It shook its head and wasn't at all intimidated by my glare which caught me off guard because even Ojiisan and Orochimaru show some small reaction to it.

"Can you talk?"

This guy was bad a lying even though he never said a word. He tried to hide his expression by maintaining a poker face but unfortunately for him I could discipher ones emotions from their eyes alone.

"I'll take that as a yes.

Now. Who are you?

Tell me."

A long moment of silence passed by and for that time each of us looked the other dead in the eye and didn't dare to blink.

"I'm a Kitsune spirit with no summoner. I just decided to visit the realm of the living because I was bored.

I mean you no harm. All I seek is entertainment and you are quite the intriguing individual so I chose to follow you around for a few ticks.

Nothing more."

I narrowed my eyes on him.

His expression held no trace of deception nor did his eyes. However, I still didn't trust him and I made that clear.

I also told him to knock off the sneaking.

"Listen. I'm not just free source of entertainment for to use when you're bored.

I hate eyes on my back. So stop sneaking around in the shadows like a stalker and walk with me in public for all to see.

It's either that or just knock it the hell off.

No other options."

And at that I left without another word.

If he really were an enemy then walking in public and revealing his existence to high ranking ninja like Ojiisan and the Akatsuki would be extremely dangerous and most lkely fail.

The only option he would have would be to leave me alone.

And if he does end up revealing himself he is either stupid or not a threat. Either way I'll have nothing to worry about and that is just how I like it.

All that's left to do is wait and see what choice he makes.

~in the spirit realm~

(Inari POV)

'I see. So that's what his plan is.

Quite the cunning and full proof strategy. He really is impressive.

Possibly even more skilled than Indra.'

The edge of my lip tugs upward to form an amused smile.

"Clever boy." I say through a chuckle as I recall my fraction from the realm of the living.

'Alright Kazan. I'll play your game.'