Chapter 3

Camila pulled up at Lauren's house. She was twenty minutes early; her mouth dropped open as she stared up at the huge home. House more like mansion thought Camila. What did a single woman want with all that space? Everything about the house said Lauren, well what little she knew of the woman. She better get out of the car this type of neighborhood some nosey neighbour would be out soon to investigate.

She unclipped her seatbelt and wiped her sweaty hands down her pants. She looked down at what she was wearing maybe she shouldn't have come looking so casual. As far as she was concerned, it was smart casual. They were only supposed to be going for a drink. She laughed to herself she doubted Lauren would approve whatever she wore.

She stepped out of the car and shut the door behind her. She thought back to what Dinah had said earlier about her plans for tonight. Now it was closer to happening she was getting cold feet about them. Maybe going all out to impress Lauren wasn't the best idea she was just expecting a drink. She had googled her again and found out some of her likes and dislikes and tailored the night around them.

Damn it she wasn't guaranteed to get a second date anyway she was going to go all out on this one! If it was possible the house looked more intimidating the closer she got. Her eyes wandered over the well-kept garden, shit she had forgotten the flowers! She ran back down the drive and grabbed the flowers and chocolates off the back seat. She hoped Lauren wasn't watching she would think she was crazy. Was she doing the right thing obviously by looking at the house she was punching above her weight. No wonder she didn't want anything serious, especially with a woman like her who lived from paycheck to paycheck.

Damn, she was here now and what would Lauren think if she had seen her and she just left. She moved a little faster down the drive this time she was still more than ten minutes early, so she didn't have to worry about that. She stood on the porch, yet again her heart was beating hard against her chest. She reached for the doorbell and pushed it and stood back. She rocked from foot to foot as she waited. She noticed one of the upper lights go off, and the hallway one come on. She hated this feeling of not being good enough; they were both just women at the end of the day.

It was so quiet in the neighborhood she could hear the sound of Lauren's heels as she approached the door. So different to where she lived there was always something going on, and it wasn't always good. She held up the flowers as she saw Lauren's outline through the frosted glass pane. The door opened, and the bright light from inside temporarily blinded her.

"Hi," Camila said as she struggled to focus on Lauren. She held the flowers and chocolates out in Lauren's direction.

"Good evening Miss Cabello" she looked down at the flowers and chocolates. "Are they for me?" Camila nodded. "Erm thank you how thoughtful!" She took the flowers and chocolates she looked them over quickly and put them on the side table.

Camila, whose eyes had managed to adjust to the extremely bright lights, looked at Lauren. "Wow you look nice," she said smiling, relieved Lauren had gone casual too. She wore tight black jeans, a red blouse and black blazer she carried over her arm. Camila thought that to be honest, Lauren could probably make a bin bag look stunning.

"Shall we go, the sooner we do this sooner we can get back and to more enjoyable pursuits" she whispered. She looked at Camila"You look erm presentable Miss Cabello I would reconsider that red jacket though!"

Camila rolled her eyes "This is my favourite Jacket I've had it for years."

"Yes, it looks like you have" Lauren quipped as she stepped out on to the porch and locked the door behind her.

She followed Camila down the drive "your house is amazing and your neighborhood is so quiet" Camila said. Camila pulled open the car door for Lauren to get in; she had been busy cleaning her car all morning. She had left it too long, but now it sparkled.