22: Amends

Chapter Twenty Two

My phone rang and I ignored it because it was just my dad calling me.

He's been calling me for the past fifteen minutes and I know what he's going to say because early this morning, the news about Overly Attached going to jail was all over the TV channels.

But I don't want to talk to him right now.

Karen was literally going to go and kick her ass on live TV with a pregnant belly as they walked her down to jail.

As it turns out, an old lady was walking her dog and saw Overly Attached drop my fiancé's body in the forest and that's when she called for help and Darren happened to be there.

No matter how much I dislike him, he did save my wife and my son.

But I don't think I'll be able to forgive him for telling them to run away with him. That was a total dick move.

But that old lady was a real hero. She saved my life and I repaid her back with meeting Karen and promised her that I'll tell her when our son is born so she could come see since that's what she wanted only.

"Why aren't you answering your phone?" Karen asked, breaking through my thoughts as she leaned on my chest.

I ran a hand through her hair and kissed the top of her head. "It's nothing important."

She turned and looked up at me with unbelieving eyes. "It's your dad."

"Yeah, but you're more important than him, Babydoll. And I just want to hold you like this and forget about the rest of the world," I replied back cheekily.

She blushed and laid her head on my chest again and I chuckled as I grabbed her hands into mine and played with her fingers.

"I've never thought that you and I will ever be like this," Karen said softly.

"Why not?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. But are you a sex addict or what? I mean, why are you a womanizer?"

I laughed as she said sex addict and shook my head. "It's something a long time ago, love. And I don't think it's worth talking about."

She urged me to tell her and I blew out a breath.

"It was a high school love kind of thing. She's beautiful. Probably the most beautiful girl that I've ever laid eyes on. She always hung out with her best friend. Her long brown hair makes me want to run my fingers through it. It was after I helped her that I realized I couldn't shake her out of my mind. She just kind of put a spell on me after she kissed me from helping her beat up the guys that were harassing her. And I guess I ju-"

Karen pressed her fingers to my lips and she looked at me tenderly yet seriously. "Be serious, Conan. I want to know the truth."

I grabbed her hand from my lips and set it down on my lap. "I am being serious, Babydoll. You're actually the first girl that I've actually had a crush on. But I know that I shouldn't do anything about it because of Sophia and my brother. And I guess I just tried to push you out of my mind through the passed years. But I guess I never could. And I just got hurt when I realized that you and Darren were dating. And everything just lead from there."

She gave me a sad half smile. "It was heartwarming how you protected me. But you know that it could've lead to something if you tried, right?"

I chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "I did try, Babydoll. That's why you're in my arms right now."

She blushed. "You've never actually answered my question though."

"The reason why I was a womanizer was because if I couldn't have you, I'm going to have to find someone else and I guess sex was just a bonus," I replied.