Chapter Forty-Seven - Coffee?

Judas

We all eat around the kitchen island. Savoring the taste of the pot pie that was now gone. Beau was resting in the recliner by the fire as we helped ourselves to the food. It was only ten minutes before Beau's heartbeat fell steady and her breathing deepened.

I turn my head away from my plate to find her sleeping soundly. Arm tucked underneath her head as she leaned over the armrest towards the fireplace for more warmth. Her mud caked feet still on the ground and I barely remember her manic cleaning episode.

"Wash your plates when you're done." I say chewing through my last bite as I walk over to the sink to wash my plate. "She's already housing us and feeding us, she shouldn't have to clean up after us."

The thunder refuses to cease, once again shaking the sturdy walls of this home. All four of them jumping in their seats.

"I don't understand how anyone can live like this." Zack says. "I barely beat the storm when I got off the train."

"It'll pass." Iris says rubbing her mates arm affectionately.

I finish washing the plate, hanging it to dry as I go looking for the cleaning supplies. Finding the hall closet and pulling out the busker and rag. The four of them watching as I walk to the bathroom fill the pale with water and other cleaning solutions, before walking back out to the hall to clean up our mud tracks.

Beau must have been too tired to notice.

Bending down to the floor as I clean up the mud with the rag. I can feel Zion and Zack standing and staring behind me.

"What?" I ask flatly, wringing the rag over the bucket.

"I've never seen you clean anything." Zion says and I hear the disbelief in his voice.

"It's not hard to clean up your own mess." I say somewhat annoyed with his shock.

"That's rich coming from you." Zack says and I sigh but keep cleaning. Wiping away any trace of the earth in the house. Dumping out the dirty water into the chaos outside before locking the door again. Moving back to the living room and seeing Beau's dirtied feet. Refilling the bucket with warm water, I kneel in front of Beau, the grey mastiff moving out of my way as I do.

I take a moment to pet the beast, it's head leveled with mine staring into my eyes. It was a dominant beast, but so was I. Keeping my palm on her dogs head as I stare back calmly. The mastiff looks away before sniffing and licking my hand. I turn my attention back to Beau.

Gently taking Beau's feet and cleaning them, trying my best to be delicate as to not wake her. I notice that her toes are neater than I expected. Nails trimmed down with not much dirt caught underneath. Despite constantly being barefoot, her feet were soft.

Probably because of the mud.

Just as I'm done cleaning her feet, the door to the bathroom slams open and Beau jumps awake with a startled look. I quickly reach out soothing her. Her heartbeat quickly going from rapid to steady as she blinks away the fog from her eyes. Val coming around the corner.

"It's okay, it's just Val." I say and she nods with a groan, her eyes red with exhaustion.

"It's so cold!" Val comes padding toward the fireplace, shivering.

"I thought lycans were naturally warm blooded." She says gruffly. Even in her tired state she was still making an effort.

"But that takes energy and I'll be sleeping. I won't be able to force-"

"Okay, okay." Beau huffs pushing herself off the couch while I shoot Val an annoyed look which she doesn't miss. Beau seems to completely miss the exchange as she pulls open a trap door next to the fire place grabbing out a few wood logs.