Chapter Eight- Anger

It's dark once again and the storm has settled only a bit. A light pitter patter of rain on the windows as the fire was stoked and adding some much needed warmth. The dogs laying by the fire place, each chewing on their own beef bone.

Dressing comfortably in sweats and a loose t-shirts my hair tied up to avoid falling into the food. Nearly finished with the food when the Queen emerges from her room, yawning.

"Is it night time already?" She asks groggily.

"Yeah, dinners almost done. Spiced herb salmon with rice and asparagus. It should knock you right out again." I say and she smiles as I begin to prepare the plates.

"I haven't gotten this much rest in a long time. There's something so...comforting, about your home." She says as she paces around the living room.

"Just that it's a home made to be comfortable." I shrug serving the rice and asparagus before gently laying down the salmon. Serving up all four plates as the other two come out from their rooms. I quickly undo my hair letting it fall as I speed past them to get to the cellar.

Opening the floor door I descend down into the cellar. Turning on the light as I search for the right wine. Stacks of wine held in in diamond shaped wooden compartments, rows and rows lining the cellar.

Picking out a bottle I head back up the stairs. Making sure my hair covered my neck, as I turned the corner to the kitchen. Fishing out the wine opener I quickly pop it open pouring it into a decanter.

"The salmon is delicious." The Queen says as she squeezes lemon juice over the top. "Where did you learn to cook like this?"

"My uncle Thomas could only cook two things. Potatoes and boiled eggs. I didn't want to suffer for the rest of my life because of his lack of creativity in the kitchen." I say which earns a laugh from all of them.

"Potatoes and boiled eggs tend to be the typical soldier's meal in times of crisis." The king says. "At one point when I was much younger, potatoes and eggs were a delicacy."

"They were unseasoned and depressing." I say grabbing a piece of asparagus with my fingers and eating it. "Besides he was grateful, his last days were spent eating some of the best food I'd ever cooked."

"When did he die?" The king asks.

"Four months ago." I answer quickly.

"I'm sorry." Judas says and I smirk.

"Nothing to be sorry for. He went out on his own terms, happy and fat with good food." I say and take my plate walking over to the living room area. Grabbing the far end of the long couch. Placing my feet on the table in front of me as I watched the flames dance. They came to join me. Eating with me in silence as our eyes were glued to the fire place.

Eventually we all finish and they wash their own plates.

"Um Isabeau?" The Queen calls over her shoulder as she dries off her dish.

"Just Beau." I say as I say a lazy sip of my wine. "What is it?"

"I couldn't help but notice that the bookshelf in our room has a lot of unique literature in there."

"Yeah." A smile sliding onto my face as I remember the bookshelf.

"I just wanted to ask-"

"Why?"

"What?" Judas looks between us confused.

"The bookshelf in their room has nothing but bodice rippers." I say.

"I'm sorry, what?" He blinks at me.

I turn to look back at the Queen. "The room your staying in was supposed to be for my little sister Yazmin when she visits. Judas's room was for my older brother Luca. Yazmin and I share a private joke of sharing books that fall under the smut category. Specifically bodice rippers."