Chapter Thirty-One - Silence

The next day I'm back to working on the barge.

It's only days two and the entire barge has been essentially set in stone. The concrete slabs hugging every corner of the barge as we stood admiring our work. Lewis standing next to me and my father with a look of awe on his face. Surveying the large empty room.

"Insulation, ventilation, water proofing, and electricity. Soon enough we'll have an appropriate weapons barge." I sigh. I turn to look at Lewis. "Don't hold any parties down here-umph!"

Lewis pulling me into a bone crushing hug, wrapping his arms around me squeezing all air out of my lungs. I feel my whole body twitching for him to put me down as I struggle to breathe.

"Lewis you're suffocating my daughter." My father says tapping his shoulder and Lewis quickly sets me down, apologizing profusely.

"I'm sorry Alpha, I just..." he looks around at the empty barge. It was just a concrete room, he didn't need to be so sensitive about it. "Thank you for hearing me." He says, a great full smile on his patchy bearded face.

"No problem Lewis." I say and walk up the newly made concrete stairs onto the grass. The barge wasn't connected yet to the shop, but that was still happening. Pack mates helping out as they slapped bricks into place with wet cement dripping in between.

"Beau!" Yazmin and Cassie come running up to me, for the hundredth time. Once again breathless and red faced. The sun beating down on all of us as they huffed their way too me.

"Do you want a fitbit for Christmas?" I ask as they approach. "Can't be any other reason for how often you run around."

Neither of them react to my joke both looking at me with faces of worry.

"Alright, what is it?" I drop the amusement when they're still speechless. Exchanging looks making my anxiety spike through the roof. "Can one of you open your mouths and say something!"

"There's...new recruits." Cassie says hesitantly.

"Ok. There's new recruits, we always have new recruits. What's the difference now?"

"It's the fae." Yazmin says rolling her lips between her teeth as she takes in my reaction.

The fae? The fae don't come out for anyone. Ever!

"They're just on the border of town." Yazmin speaks up again. "They look-"

"Beau it's awful." Cassie shakes her head, teary eyed and somber.

Without looking back I follow them to the outskirts of town. The crowd that had gathered there parting for the three of us as we approach the center of the commotion. People pushing to the side as I stepped forward seeing the gruesome scene in front of me.

There were elves and fairies kneeling down just on the border of town. On their knees in front of us, ash, blood, and dirt covering their once pristine bodies. The fae were said to have a certain glow, a certain warming light to them. There was no light, only the suns cruel burning rays which showed absolutely no mercy. I stepped forward out of the crowd walking towards them. Two people stood at the for front.

The man an Elf, high point ears that were tinted blue at the top. The rest of his skin held a white blue color to it. As if he was sick or dying, black hair stringy and coated in blood. Ash smearing his face.

The woman a was fairy. Bright golden sun yellow wings laying limply down her back, she wore a gold dress that held no shine under the sun. Her yellow blond hair wild caked with mud. Her pale ivory skin sunken in around her face and holding deep scratches on her arms.