Chapter Thirty-Three - Got a Pool?

Beau

"So you're going?" My mother looking at me wide eyed as I shove various articles of clothing into the bottomless bag.

"I have to. Judas needs me." I say sounding almost robotic. There wasn't another option. I did what I could for the time being, everyone is holding on, they will be alright for a day or two.

"Don't worry about a single thing!" Cassie interjects. "We have everything planned out for the kids, our neighbors in the outskirts are more receptive to our help now more than ever, the houses are doing well,"

"Cassie I know we have that auction coming up for the crate of bourbon—" I stop in the middle of packing turning to face her but she waves her hands to stop me.

"I know MaryAnne usually handled the auctions for you, but I have already built a rapport with the people at the auction, we have a good relationship and the guest list is good and set. I've actually wanted to handle this part of the business more, but MaryAnne was a hogger, said I wasn't professional enough." She bites the words through a smile and I smile back.

"Cassie you're plenty competent and professional. And I'm sorry I didn't keep a closer watch on MaryAnne." I say and finish packing.

"MaryAnne wasn't terrible just deeply prejudiced." Cassie shrugs and I give her a look. "Ok maybe that is bad. But she wasn't bad at her job. She was effective and smart just stuck in her ways, I guess."

"MaryAnne let her prejudice get in the way of helping people. She's done that for a long time, but the stakes are too high to let that continue." I say and sling my bag over my shoulder as I stare at myself in the mirror.

"I don't know why you suggested reapplying the paint." I shake my head at my reflection. Cassie behind me as she plays with my braided hair.

"Because it's like you're wearing the pack on your skin. The ministers are going to see you, and see that this pack is real. The people and families here are real, and you are our leader." Cassie smiling and my mother smiles behind her. 

"A leader who needs a hair cut." She chimes in.

"Ma!" I groan.

"You have so many split ends! Just a trim-" she starts but I shake my head and head for the door.

The train ride was long, and quiet. Sitting in the train car in economy, mindlessly sipping on wine from my own brand as the train kept some. The wine lulling me to sleep until I was awoken by the train attendant.

"Miss?" She shook my shoulder gently. The train attendant giving me a sweet smile. "This is your stop."

"Thank you." I yawn and slip her a hearty tip which she blushes at before tucking it away in her pockets. Her smile is bigger as I stand from the booth.

"Would you need help with your bags?" She asks.

"I'm good. Thank you." I nod to her and head off the train.

Arriving on the crowns territory was nothing like home. One the way to the palace for the party weeks before, I couldn't be bothered with what was outside the window. Now when I look around, it was a far cry from home, or even alpha Regean's pack. The houses were massive, the government buildings were works of art. Statues and fountains, perfectly paved walkways and streets

The heels of my brown boots scraping against the concrete as I strolled lazily through the park. Aptly named "Crown's Park." Cobble stone walkways that led through perfectly cut green grass fields and over romantic bridges. I pause looking over the side of one bridge. The water crystal clear showing koi fish swimming near the surface. In the distance was the palace.