龍 24 龙

- General Wang, the man bowed with a huge smirk.

- Lord Xiao Li, Longwei bowed back. How is your stay at Hua County?

- Wonderful, the man answered. The county is very beautiful and Magistrate Sheng is a good company to me.

- I heard about this close friendship. Pleased to hear that you do not feel so lonely without your wife and son.

- My wife doesn't like the idea of moving out since all her friends are here in the capital. For Wu, there is a girl he is interested in marrying her. I don't remember her name quite well, but I remember her being from General Feng's family.

Longwei's eyes shifted for a second before he composed himself

- If they get married and move in with us at Hua County, that would be a relief.

- The Xiao family seems quite confident about this betrothal, Longwei commented.

- Our family's reputation precedes us. No young girl would dare to reject our son. She should be grateful that he landed his eyes on her.

Longwei stayed quiet, making Xiao Li uncomfortable.

- Well ... What about you? Shouldn't you think of getting married? You can not spend your whole life on the battlefield.

- Do not worry about that Lord Xiao. I am sure Lord Xiao has more important things to care about.

Longwei bowed then walked past him with a blank expression.

The man tightened his fits, angry.

- That arrogant brat ...

*****

- I can understand you both coming here: One is her brother and the other one her future husband. But why am I supposed to miss my lunch to accompany you both? It's not fair!

Longwei and Song ignored Wuxian's whining.

Yuanqian was stressed about the wedding and not seeing Song for the last days made her stress higher. The two men thought that buying her the candies she loved would make her feel better, especially if it was from Song.

That is why they were roaming around the city while holding their horses, looking for a shop that sells them.

- Young Masters, a child approached Longwei. Would you like some herbs? They will make you stronger.

- No. Thank you.

- No! Master. Buy some from me, please!

- Kid. I don't need them. Go sell it to someone else.

The nine-year-old kid sat on the ground and started crying. The three men's eyes widened while the cries grew louder. People around them glared at them.

- Why is that boy crying?

- Are they bullying him?

- Those arrogant soldiers!

Song tried to calm the child down but he wouldn't stop.

- Okay! Wuxian yelled. We will buy from you!

- What? Longwei glared at him.

- I panicked, okay? 

The child instantly calmed himself and stood up.

- How many would you like? The boy handed them his basket with a mischievous smirk.

Longwei bit his lips, holding himself.

- What do you sell, child? Song tried to stay calm.

- Everything! I have many mixes for various things. Anything you'd like! I have this powder that makes people sleep better, it might help you sir.

He handed the powder to Longwei.

- Me? Longwei widened his eyes, offended.

- You don't look like you sleep well. Your eyes are very puffy and dark.

- Listen you brat-

Song quickly stopped him, signaling to just go with it.

- Try its smell, the kid innocently smiled. It will make you feel at ease.

Longwei sighed and bent down. As soon as his face was close to the powder, the kid blew on it then ran away.

Longwei yelled as the powder burned his eyes, not being able to open them. Wuxian and Song came to his help while he struggled to stand properly.

A sound attracted his attention and he quickly pushed himself away, an arrow landing on the ground where he was standing.

- Master! The two men yelled.

They looked around for the shooter but saw no one.

- Catch that kid! Longwei yelled.

They got on their horses and followed the direction the boy ran off to.

Almost ten minutes later, they entered the side of the market where he had bought walnut paste for Ruolan before searching for it again.

His eyes landed on the kid who started running as soon as he saw them.

- Catch him! Longwei yelled.

People looked in worry seeing one of their kids followed by the soldiers.

The kid ran into his house, closing the door back.

The men got off their horses and walked to the door, knocking on it. Longwei stayed behind as his two men were on the front.

- Don't open it! The kid's voice sounded.

- Why should I not? Did you fight with Jiaxu again? I'm tired of his mother coming here!

- NO MOTHER DON'T-

The door opened, revealing an old lady. Her hands trembled from fear at the sight of the shining armors.

- Hello, she hesitantly bowed.

- Hello. Song spoke. We are here for one of your kids.

- W-what? Why?

- Your kid helped in almost killing our general.

The mother gasped, horrified by the accusation.

Her daughter who heard everything from the kitchen, jumped from the window and ran to find her father.

- I-Impossible! My kid is young and innocent! How could he do that to a soldier? He doesn't have a weapon or anything!

- Maybe. But he helped the person who tried to kill him.

- They are lying! The kid yelled and hid under his mother's skirt.

- We only want to talk to him and ask him about the person who asked him to do such a thing.

- My Jiaxu will never do this! Why would he hurt him? You are looking for the wrong person.

- Your child sells herbs, right? Longwei asked. He forced me to smell one of his powders, then blew all of it in my eyes, which gave the enemy the chance to shoot. If I wasn't quick enough, I would be dead by now.

The mother yelled and argued, refusing to believe her little son could do something this harmful.

The three men tried to convince her, but she still refused.

- If you refuse to cooperate and let us talk to him in peace, Longwei finally said. We might need to take him by force.

- Over my dead body! A familiar male voice yelled behind them.

Everyone turned around to the voice's source.

Longwei's eyes grew wide as he saw the old man he had previously bought walnut paste from, Ruolan by his side.